1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

insert multiple values

How do I write the different values together in the first statement instead of writing it twice like this???
    Im writing in T-SQL.
    I need to populate the tables in my test database to run it but I dont want to write every entry in new insert statements.

USE Test
    INSERT INTO table1 (A, B, C, D,
    E, F, G,H)
    VALUES ('lala', 'Bob', 'Swanson', 'Brook Ave 541', '274 37', 'USA'
    , '002-326565656', 'ps@aol.com')

USE Test
    INSERT INTO table1 (A, B, C, D,
    E, F, G,H)
    VALUES ('blabla', 'Anna', 'Asey', 'Brook str 19', '274 37', 'Skivarp'
    , '04-12565656', 'aa@aol.com')
  3. SQL Consultant
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

you could upload the data into a holding table

here's what i do

if the data is in comma- or tab- delimited format, or even fixed-length format (all fields start in the same column position), then i will either open it in excel, or paste into excel and use Data > Text as Columns, then save it as a spreadsheet, then DTS the spreadsheet into SQL Server

otherwise i use search and replace in a text editor to slap the INSERT syntax around my values and run the whole series of INSERT statements in one execution in Query Analyzer

the deciding factor, whether to go the text edit or excel/DTS route, depends on whether there are more than a couple thousand rows to do this way (search & replace is error-prone)

rudy
    http://r937.com/
  5. Junior Member
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

If you just want to populate a table with dummy data, and its worth your time, you might try running the insert statement in a loop, and using the rand function to randomly generate your data. I don't think I'd go through all of this unless I needed thousands of dummy entries though

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo