1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

MS SQL database permissions

Hi,

I need help troubleshooting my database connectivity. I have an application that can connect to the sql database from server #1 but the same application with the same connection string does not work on server #2.

The servers are set up identically and I'm able to telnet from both servers to the database server. The broken server #2 is reaching the ms sql database but it states "Login failed for user...". I double checked the login credentials and they are the EXACT same as server #1. Literally, the application from server #1 was copied over to server #2 so nothing was tampered with.

I'm only familiar with MySQL which you have to grant servers access to databases but from what I have been told MS SQL server databases are handled only through user accounts.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
  3. Put a potato on it!

I'm just assuming you're using sql server 2008, but the instructions will be similar for 2005, just with different roles you can assign the user. Here's an MS guide on setting up a new login, you may find it helpful to troubleshoot the issue which does sound like the user doesn't have permission to access the db.

Setting up a new user

And you don't really grant the server access to a db on mysql or ms sql, you're granting a specific account permissions to dbs on the server. Different services need different permissions and therefore can be assigned different roles (MS SQL) or different privileges (MySQL). If you're administrating the server, it may be good to read about MS SQL permissions as they are different and you can get pretty granular with them.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Well, the issue is that the user account works fine on one server but not on another.

I'm not the ms sql administrator, I was just researching on the topic to see if I can relay any information to the administrators.

Thanks

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo