1. Recovering Intellectual
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Any way to sort column listing in Object Explorer?

Is there any way to sort this list? The developer who created the schema uses hungarian notation and its difficult to look through. I've only just started using the MSSQL Server Studio - 2008

See attached.
    Attached Images
    Bugs that go away by themselves come back by themselves
    Beware - your loyalty will not be rewarded
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

What do you mean to sort this list?
    you can move fields inside table up and down it should not effect anything if you have properly written query. It is nothing wrong with using Hungarian notation, most companies was that as standard and during the time of using you will found it is convenient and good practice
  5. Recovering Intellectual

I dont have a problem with the notation.

What I mean by sorting the list is to press a button and have it sorted alphabetically. What query are you talking about? I am referring to the column list in the object explorer. The list of columns in the table, not the results of a query.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I do not sure why you want sort fields alphabetically, but you right click an choose modify menu option it will open table structure in design view and you can move columns in order you need...

Comments on this post

• Matt1776 agrees : Seems like a silly place to put it but there it is. Thank you.
  9. Recovering Intellectual

I wish to sort the fields alphabetically so I can find the field name im looking for quicker. That does not seem like an unreasonable or uncommon desire.

I've right clicked on the column folder and the table object icon and there is no modify option. I am using SQL Server Studio 2008 and I am asking to modify the fields as listed and shown in the attached image. Am I clicking in the wrong area? I've already tried doing this a few times.

//Edit - correction - ive done this on the actual field name - which doesnt seem like a logical place to put that functionality if it applies to the whole list, but what do i know. Thank you for the help.
  11. Recovering Intellectual

So then I take it there is no way to just simply "display" them alphabetically? You have to actually permanently move the field names?

This is not very user friendly in that case. I would think this is an extremely common function, every IDE, spreadsheet application, hell anything ive ever used has had some kind of sorting.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

spreadsheet is not database...
    Server Management studio is not tools for everybody like spreadsheet it is just tools to help you create right SQL objects, test query and manage server...

Comments on this post

• Matt1776 disagrees : No kidding. However as with any "tool" i expect it to be "useful" to me, and that means having "features" - not being for 'everybody' is not an excuse.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo