1. Contributing User
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

How do you keep track of which web pages use which tables?

I want to know how others document or keep track of the tables that their web pages use. For example if I want to change the structure of a table I would need to know which web pages I'm going to impact, right? This means I would have to have a place where I can filter by table and see all of the web pages. Alternatively if I were moving web pages from one server to another I would want to see which tables needed to be migrated first.
    What have you all found to be the best and cleanest method for keeping track of this information?
  3. CSS & JS/DOM Adept
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Are you talking about database tables? If so, which database system are you using? MySQL? PregSQL? MsSQL? (I'll move this thread for you.)
    Spreading knowledge, one newbie at a time.

Check out my blog. | Learn CSS. | PHP includes | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator | Common CSS Mistakes | Common JS Mistakes

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  5. Contributing User

I'm using MsSQL and php
  7. SQL Consultant
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Originally Posted by DKY
    What have you all found to be the best and cleanest method for keeping track of this information?
    document the tables in comments at the top of every program module or html page in the source code

then use a text editor to search the source code library
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
  9. Contributing User

Originally Posted by r937
    document the tables in comments at the top of every program module or html page in the source code

then use a text editor to search the source code library
    Okay, so that's one way. I have all of the tables in the php files that I'm using so I guess I would open all of the files in my text editor and then do a search for them all?

Currently I have an excel sheed with the webpages going down column A and each table going across to column CA. It's not very efficient.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Banned
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

check out with fire bug...

Comments on this post

• MrFujin disagrees : Not helpful. You have to be more descriptive if you want to help.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo