1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

MS SQL a memory hog?

Hi there,

I'm new to SQL Server as I've just obtained the developer edition to practise writing .NET apps with. I installed ok as I'm also reading a book, but one problem i'm having isn't addressed in any book i've read to date.

When MS SQL Server 2000 installs it generates 3 services, one of them being the sqlserver.exe service. The problem I am having is that after 10 minutes or so the sqlserver.exe service ends up taking 95-99% of system resources, to the point where my computer slows or even locks up. I'm trying to run this sql server as a test on my home pc which also has VS.NET installed, I want to have everything on one pc as i'm just testing and learning.

My setup. Intel P4 2.4GHZ with 512mb ram. Is it normal for sql server to hog all the system resources? Any idea what is causing this behaviour?

I've tried adjusting the memory using the enterprise manager but no matter how little memory i specify it doesn't stop the sqlserver.exe service from hogging my system resources. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Bill
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Did you restart the SQL server service after making the changes in Enterprise Manager?
  5. Modding: Oracle MsSQL Firebird
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Service packs installed? (Both OS and SQLServer)
  7. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

SQL Server by design will try to use all available memory, but it will also release memory back to the OS when it's needed. The memory limits you set in EM should work for you though.
  9. No Profile Picture
    A fiend for the SQL Scene

Sounds like you could have a worm Id just recommend downloading the latest ms sql 2000 service pack, here is the latest one that im aware of:

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/downloads/2000/sp3.asp

Hope this helps

---
    Russell
    (rusty@streetmadness.com)

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo