1. No Profile Picture
    A fiend for the SQL Scene
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Join Multiple Select Statements with functions

Hello,

MS SQL 2000 & ASP Question:

How would I join these multiple select statements so i can create one select query to use with my sub call without using outer join?

call query2table("SELECT SUM([Customers]) as [# of Cust] FROM (SELECT COUNT(*) AS [Customers] FROM Customers WHERE (active = 1) and (RepID = 4) union SELECT COUNT(*) AS [Customers] FROM Customers WHERE (active = 1) and (RepID = 4)) as aPlus")

call query2table("SELECT COUNT(*) AS [Customers] FROM Customers WHERE active = '1' and RepID = '4' and RecruiterID = '4'")

call query2table("SELECT SUM([Reps]) as [# of Reps] FROM (SELECT COUNT(*) AS [Reps] FROM RepDetail WHERE (active = 1) and (RecruiterID = 4) union SELECT COUNT(*) AS [Reps] FROM RepDetail WHERE (active = 1) and (RecruiterID = 4)) as aPlus")

call query2table("Select RecruiterID as 'Recruiter #',RepID as 'Rep #',FirstName,LastName,CompanyName,State,HomePhone,WorkPhone from RepDetail where Active = '1' and RecruiterID = '4'")

Thanks,
    Russell
    (rusty@streetmadness.com)
  3. SQL Consultant
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

something is very, very wrong, but i'm not sure what it is

let's take a look at the first of your queries:
    Code:
    SELECT SUM([Customers]) as [# of Cust] 
      FROM (
           SELECT COUNT(*) AS [Customers] 
             FROM Customers 
            WHERE (active = 1) 
              and (RepID = 4) 
           union 
           SELECT COUNT(*) AS [Customers] 
             FROM Customers 
            WHERE (active = 1) 
              and (RepID = 4)
           ) as aPlus
    look at the SELECT, FROM, and WHERE clauses in two parts of the UNION -- they're identical!

furthermore, since there's no GROUP BY in either, each of the two parts of the UNION will produce exactly one row

now, since it's UNION, and not UNION ALL, and since the two rows will be identical, therefore the UNION will eliminate one of them

thus the SUM([Customers]) in the outer query is summing just one value, so that's not necessary, and the entire thing can be reduced as follows:
    Code:
    select count(*) as [customers] 
      from customers 
     where active = 1 
       and repid = 4
    could you explain a bit more what you're trying to do?
  5. No Profile Picture

Using 2 tables: Customers, RepDetail

What im trying to do is create a report for users logged into their backoffice and this will display information like how many reps they have signed up or how many customers they have. I just need 4 Selects statements into one so I can run a sub call and it will create the table with the variables.
    Last edited by syris; December 14th, 2003 at 11:50 AM.
  7. No Profile Picture

Ok I noticed the problems also and I will admit Im very new to sql but here is what I have so far:

call query2table("SELECT COUNT(*) AS [# of Cust:] FROM Customers WHERE active = '1' and RepID = '4'")

call query2table("SELECT COUNT(*) AS [Total Cust:] FROM Customers WHERE active = '1' and RepID = '4' and RecruiterID = '4'")

call query2table("SELECT COUNT(*) AS [# of Reps:] FROM RepDetail WHERE active = '1' and RecruiterID = '4'")

call query2table("Select RecruiterID as 'Recruiter #:',RepID as 'Rep #:',FirstName as 'First Name:',LastName as 'Last Name:',CompanyName as 'Company Name:',State as 'State:',HomePhone As 'Phone#:',WorkPhone as 'Work Phone#:' from RepDetail where Active = '1' and RecruiterID = '4'")

How can I join these 4 select statements pulling from 2 tables?
    Last edited by syris; December 14th, 2003 at 11:56 AM.
  9. SQL Consultant
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

you cannot combine these 4 queries into one, not in mysql

you can combine the first two

but you cannot combine either of the first two with the third or fourth, and you cannot combine the third and the fourth

look at the FROM and WHERE clauses of the third and fourth -- identical

the third query is simply a count of the number of detail records produced by the fourth
  11. No Profile Picture

Ok I figured it out here is what I have now:

call query2table1("SELECT RepDetail.RepID as 'RepID:', RepDetail.FirstName as 'First Name:', RepDetail.LastName as 'Last Name:', RepDetail.State as 'State:', RepDetail.HomePhone as 'Home#:', RepDetail.WorkPhone as 'Work#:', RepDetail.Email as 'Email:', COUNT(RepDetail.RepID) AS [# of Reps:], COUNT(*) AS [# of Cust:], COUNT(Customers.RecruiterID) AS [Total Cust:] FROM Customers LEFT JOIN RepDetail ON Customers.RepID=RepDetail.RepID WHERE RepDetail.Active = '1' and RepDetail.RepID = '" & repsids & "' or Customers.RepID = '4' GROUP BY RepDetail.RepID, RepDetail.FirstName, RepDetail.LastName, RepDetail.State, RepDetail.HomePhone, RepDetail.WorkPhone, RepDetail.Email;")

Response.write "<br>"

call query2table2("Select RepDetail.RecruiterID as 'Recr#:',RepDetail.RepID as 'RepID:',RepDetail.FirstName as 'First Name:',RepDetail.LastName as 'Last Name:',RepDetail.CompanyName as 'Company:',RepDetail.State as 'State:',RepDetail.HomePhone As 'Phone#:',RepDetail.WorkPhone as 'Work Phone#:' FROM RepDetail WHERE Active = '1' and RecruiterID = '" & repsids & "' GROUP BY RepDetail.RecruiterID, RepDetail.RepID, RepDetail.FirstName, RepDetail.LastName, RepDetail.CompanyName, RepDetail.State, RepDetail.HomePhone, RepDetail.WorkPhone")

Now I need to create 3 more report tables pulling info from the previous query starting with query2table2. Is this possible and how would I do something like that??

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo