1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Unable to register SQL Server

I have two servers, one running 2000 Server, one running 2003 Server. MSSQL is installed on both. From my home computer, I am able to register the SQL server on the 2000 server, but I am not able to register the 2003 server. ALso, I am unable to register the 2000 server on the 2003 server. It appears that I can not register anything in or out of the 2003 server. The firewall is turned off...so there should be nothing to block it. I can ping it, connect to it, etc....everything except register the SQL. SQL SP3 is installed. Is there something by default in 2003 that is blocking any SQL ports or something?

Thanks for any help!

Matthew
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

What version are the MS SQL Servers? Have you checked that port 1433 is open on the Windows 2003 Server? Perform a netstat -an from a dos window to verify.
    And yes, by default, MS `attempted` to secure ports in the 2003 release.
    El éxito consiste en una serie de pequeñas victorias día a día

MySQL, MS SQL, MS ACCESS, Oracle Database Manager - http://victorpendleton.net/products/psdviewer.html
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks so much for the help! Both servers are running SQL 2000. I performed the netstat, it listed this for port 1433:

TCP 0.0.0.0:1433 0.0.0.0. Listening

I did notice that there are other ports listeningm but they have the server IP where the first set of zeros is. Is this the problem? The firewall is turned off for testing...is there somewhere else in 2003 that ports are blocked?

Thanks!
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

From a remote host dos window try this:
    telnet win_2003_ip_address 1433
    Do you get a connection refused or is a connection made?

MySQL, MS SQL, MS ACCESS, Oracle Database Manager - http://victorpendleton.net/products/psdviewer.html
  9. No Profile Picture

Could not open connection to the host, on port 1433: Connect failed.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

If you could not telnet to port 1433 on the remote server then you can check the following. (Not complete)
    The MS SQL server is actually listening on port 1433. Have you been able to successfully log in locally to this machine? Verify that it is using 1433.
    You are not getting dropped at a router/firewall/TCP port restriction

13. No Profile Picture

That is correct. I can successfully log into the SQL server locally on itself. I know SQL is running, and that it is listening on that port. But, I am unable to go in or out from that server. I basically wanted to double check that there were no special port blocks in the new 2003 that I did not know about. I think I have narrowed it down to the server ISP blocking something. I will post the results if/when I find them.

Thanks again!

Matthew
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Smile

Wait. You did not mention that this machine was hosted by an ISP, which will most likely block port 1433 from inbound/outbound connections unless you request that the port be open.

17. No Profile Picture

None of my other servers have ever been blocked. I have had them at FastServers and MileHighNetworks. This one is currently at ServerBeach. Just testing it out.
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I recently set up with a new ISP, and I had to explicitly ask that a port I was accustomed to being open with previous ISP, be opened for me. Different strokes for different folks.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo