1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Syntax error converting the varchar value, in need of some pointers

With the code below I get a error

Server: Msg 245, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
    Syntax error converting the varchar value 'LTORFPARENT' to a column of data type int.

Where I am querying integers but there are some alphanumeric(ex. 333a) in there columns as well. Is there a way around this?

Thanks

Code:
    SELECT     dbo.meterDefineDPView.meterName, dbo.hourlyMeterReading.contractTime, dbo.hourlyMeterReading.rawValue, dbo.listDefine.listName, dbo.objectDefine.objectName
    FROM         dbo.meterDefineDPView INNER JOIN
                              (SELECT     meteriD, MAX(rawValue) AS [Differential]
                                FROM          dbo.hourlyMeterReading
                                WHERE      dataQuality IN ('10', '11') AND contractTime BETWEEN CONVERT(DATETIME, '2012-May-14', 102) AND CONVERT(DATETIME, 
                                                       '2013-May-14', 102)
                                GROUP BY meterId) maxes ON maxes.meteriD = dbo.meterDefineDPView.meterName
    INNER JOIN
                          dbo.objectDefine ON dbo.meterDefineDPView.meterName = dbo.objectDefine.objectName INNER JOIN
                          dbo.listRefer ON dbo.objectDefine.objectId = dbo.listRefer.objectId INNER JOIN
                          dbo.hourlyMeterReading ON dbo.meterDefineDPView.meterId = dbo.hourlyMeterReading.meterId INNER JOIN
                          dbo.listDefine ON dbo.listRefer.listId = dbo.listDefine.listId
    WHERE     (dbo.listDefine.listName = 'orifice meter')
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

this depends a bit on your data. if it's simple alphanumerics, you can use implicit conversion like 0 + whatever .
    in this case 0+333a will become 333.

if you're data is more complex, you may need to do more complicated things involving string manipulations through regexp or substring(whatever,locate(...)
    Last edited by bobert123; May 29th, 2013 at 05:27 PM.
  5. SQL Consultant
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Originally Posted by bobert123
    you can use implicit conversion like 0 + whatever
    this works only in mysql

unfortunately, this isn't a mysql question -- the format of the error message and the use of the "dbo" owner are dead giveaways that this is microsoft sql server

thread moved to the sql server forum
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
  7. SQL Consultant
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Originally Posted by geebra
    With the code below I get a error
    nope -- not that error from that query, because that query doesn't mention that column or value

try again
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
  9. No Profile Picture

So if the query 'mention' that column(like add it to the SELECT), the error will be gone?

BTW thanks for all the help Rudy
  11. No Profile Picture

I seem to got the query working but now its not bringing in the time range that I want. It brings back data from 2009 and took about about 1 min to query.

How can I refine this?

Code:
    SELECT     dbo.meterDefineDPView.meterName, maxes.[Differential], dbo.hourlyMeterReading.contractTime, dbo.listDefine.listName
    FROM         dbo.meterDefineDPView INNER JOIN
                              (SELECT     meterID, Min(rawValue) AS [Differential]
                                FROM          dbo.hourlyMeterReading
                                WHERE      dataQuality IN ('10', '11') AND contractTime BETWEEN CONVERT(DATETIME, '2013-May-13', 102) AND CONVERT(DATETIME, 
                                                       '2013-May-14', 102)
                                GROUP BY meterId) maxes ON maxes.meterID = dbo.meterDefineDPView.meterId
    INNER JOIN
                          dbo.objectDefine ON dbo.meterDefineDPView.meterName = dbo.objectDefine.objectName INNER JOIN
                          dbo.listRefer ON dbo.objectDefine.objectId = dbo.listRefer.objectId INNER JOIN
                          dbo.hourlyMeterReading ON dbo.meterDefineDPView.meterId = dbo.hourlyMeterReading.meterId INNER JOIN
                          dbo.listDefine ON dbo.listRefer.listId = dbo.listDefine.listId
    WHERE     (dbo.listDefine.listName = 'orifice meter')

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo