1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

1 pc, 1 mac + 2 monitors?

Hey,
    I'm getting a second hand MAC desktop for free (I don't know what model yet) and was thinking of getting a second monitor. I was wondering what the best setup would be with a pc, a mac and two monitors. Ideally I would like to have the option to run extended desktop on both of them as well as having the choice of have the PC on one screen and the mac on the other.

What would be the best/cheapest setup for this? My PC has DVI and HDMI outputs so could I run both of those to a 4 port DVI KVM switcher and do the same depending on the outputs of the MAC and switch between the two that way?

Hope someone could clear this up for me please.
    Thanks,
    Bryan
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

I've generally only seen KVMs that handle one monitor.

I have a similar situation, I use a KVM to switch only my keyboard and mouse. My monitors have multiple inputs, so I use the switch on the front of the monitor to switch what I'm looking at...that way I can get any combination of which computer on which monitor.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Ah the input select on the monitor!
    I forgot about that, so if I get a monitor with multiple HD inputs I can plug in an input from each of the computers into them.
    Then I can get a VGA 2:1 KVM and I can plug a vga cable from each of the computers into that and plug that into my current VGA monitor!
    That should work nicely.
    Thanks
  7. No Profile Picture

Working with multiple monitors gives you more visual real estate.
    I have heard not every Mac supports multiple monitors. The Mac mini doesn't allow you to connect a second monitor, and the older iBook G4 only allows you to mirror displays. Depending on your Mac, you might be able to hack Mac OS X with Screen Spanning Doctor. This software modifies your version of Mac OS X to work with multiple displays.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo