1. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Going from 64mb to 128mb Radeon 9000

Greets

Well a friend of mine was running a 64mb Radeon 9000 on a winxp machine,but it wouldn't run Battlefield Vietnam.I have a 128mb Radeon 9000(also on a winxp machine),and it ran BFV with no problems.Since I recently got a new computer,I figured I would swap cards with him,so he could play the game.

But he is having problems installing the 128mb 9000.The first time he booted with the 128mb,the splash screen would show,but would then go to a black screen when it should have booted to the desktop.He tried removing all ati software,installed the 128mb again,and this time it booted to the desktop.But when windows tried to reconize the card,it went to a black screen again.If he puts the 64mb card back in,the computer boots fine and reconizes the card.

He lives in West Virgina,I live in Michigan,so we only talk over the phone,and can't always talk immediately to troubleshoot(damn work hehe).Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated,since I have had little experience in dealing with video cards.

-Bo
    It is not important if the glass is half full or half empty.What is important,is who has been drinking from MY glass?!?!?
  3. Type Cast Exception
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Someone (a salesperson) asserted the claim to me once that an 8x AGP card will work in a 4x AGP slot. I have verified this claim to be a falsehood. It fits, but it doesn't work.

Have you checked the slots?
  5. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Yulp,that was the problem.After some researching on his motherboard,we found that it does not support a 4x/8x AGP card.His board is compatable with 2x/4x AGP cards only.A little more trolling on another message board confirmed compatability issues for other users with the same motherboard and 4x/8x AGP cards.

I was surprised to learn that his 9000 was only a 2x/4x AGP(says right on the box),eventhough a rep from ATI insisted that they are the same cards,only one has more memory...
    It is not important if the glass is half full or half empty.What is important,is who has been drinking from MY glass?!?!?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo