Page 7 of 10 First ... 56789 ... Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Need Help!!!!!!

I just installed new Windows XP Professional to my computer yesterday. And then there's no sound from my computer. I clicked the sound and audio devices in the control panel and it's said "No audio devices" All the volume controller is grey out and I can't adjust anythings. NEED HELP PLEASE!!!!!!

I have HP Pavillian a1120n,Pentium4 desktop
  3. No Profile Picture

Hi benk

Your sound card is a Realtek ALC880.

You have not told me if you have tried going to Administration tools???? If you have not followed those instructions yet here they are again:-
    go to control panel/administrative tools/Services

once in there go down to the windows audio then right click on it and go to properties and make sure that the startup is set to automatic, then start the service.

If you have already followed the above procedure here is the link for your driver:-
    you will need to remove the spaces in the address
    http : //www .opendrivers. com /freedownload/241648/realtek-hd-audio-codecs-driver-1.88-windows-2000-xp(x32-x64)-2003(x32-x64)-download.html

when you have been redirected to the download select -
    # Realtek HD Audio Codecs Driver 1.88 Windows 2000/XP(x32/x64)/2003(x32/x64) Download Site 1

If reinstalling the sound card driver fails you may need to make sure that the sound is turned on in the BIOS

Good luck
    Rod

Originally Posted by benk711
    I just installed new Windows XP Professional to my computer yesterday. And then there's no sound from my computer. I clicked the sound and audio devices in the control panel and it's said "No audio devices" All the volume controller is grey out and I can't adjust anythings. NEED HELP PLEASE!!!!!!

I have HP Pavillian a1120n,Pentium4 desktop
  5. No Profile Picture

still no sound

Hi Rod, thanks for your helping!!

Yes,I did go to control panel/administrative tools/Services.In the Windows Audio Properties the startup type is "automatic" and the service status shows "started" but I can't click on the "start".

I also download the Realtek HD Audio Codecs Driver 1.88 Windows 2000/XP for the windows(as you told me). When the driver is installing for the windows it shows "setup has detected the version of the installed onl your system is lower than what is necessary to apply this setup.At minimum,you must have "Service Pack1" installed for windows XP".

If I installed the "service pack1" my windows will not functioning properly,such as mouse or screen flashed..

what should I do for the next step?!!

Originally Posted by xtreme1
    Hi benk

Your sound card is a Realtek ALC880.

You have not told me if you have tried going to Administration tools???? If you have not followed those instructions yet here they are again:-
    go to control panel/administrative tools/Services

once in there go down to the windows audio then right click on it and go to properties and make sure that the startup is set to automatic, then start the service.

If you have already followed the above procedure here is the link for your driver:-
    you will need to remove the spaces in the address
    http : //www .opendrivers. com /freedownload/241648/realtek-hd-audio-codecs-driver-1.88-windows-2000-xp(x32-x64)-2003(x32-x64)-download.html

when you have been redirected to the download select -
    # Realtek HD Audio Codecs Driver 1.88 Windows 2000/XP(x32/x64)/2003(x32/x64) Download Site 1

If reinstalling the sound card driver fails you may need to make sure that the sound is turned on in the BIOS

Good luck
    Rod
  7. No Profile Picture

Hi Benk
    what version of DirectX do have??? You need to try updating to directX 9 if your version is older. do you have Service Pack 2? Rod

Originally Posted by benk711
    Hi Rod, thanks for your helping!!

Yes,I did go to control panel/administrative tools/Services.In the Windows Audio Properties the startup type is "automatic" and the service status shows "started" but I can't click on the "start".

I also download the Realtek HD Audio Codecs Driver 1.88 Windows 2000/XP for the windows(as you told me). When the driver is installing for the windows it shows "setup has detected the version of the installed onl your system is lower than what is necessary to apply this setup.At minimum,you must have "Service Pack1" installed for windows XP".

If I installed the "service pack1" my windows will not functioning properly,such as mouse or screen flashed..

what should I do for the next step?!!
  9. No Profile Picture

Can you help me?

I saw how you help another person who did not have an audio device on their computer. See my problem is that my older sister was on my computer and she decided to delete somethings the we were not using anymore. I think that accidently she also deleted my audio device.
    I have tried to install the audio back. My computer says i need a CD-rom or something similar to it. But i was wondering wether you had any idea how to install it. It would be great to have help from you or anyone you may know.
    Please contact me as soon as possible. Thank you for your time.
  11. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Put_Put
    I saw how you help another person who did not have an audio device on their computer. See my problem is that my older sister was on my computer and she decided to delete somethings the we were not using anymore. I think that accidently she also deleted my audio device.
    I have tried to install the audio back. My computer says i need a CD-rom or something similar to it. But i was wondering wether you had any idea how to install it. It would be great to have help from you or anyone you may know.
    Please contact me as soon as possible. Thank you for your time.
    I need to know details about your computer. what is the motherboard or the computer brand and model, operating system.
  13. No Profile Picture

I have had an emachines T6528 on XP for 2 years.
    Suddenly, neither the EMU audio card nor the modem will show up in devices.

I flashed the bios and they showed up and reinstalled BUT after a day they disappeared again!

Also the Realtek audio that came with the machine is missing also!
    I tried reinstalling their drivers but it did nothing.
    no audio and no modem.

In services it says windows audio- automatic, started.

A tech guy told me its my motherboard but is there hope?
  15. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by triphopim
    I have had an emachines T6528 on XP for 2 years.
    Suddenly, neither the EMU audio card nor the modem will show up in devices.

I flashed the bios and they showed up and reinstalled BUT after a day they disappeared again!

Also the Realtek audio that came with the machine is missing also!
    I tried reinstalling their drivers but it did nothing.
    no audio and no modem.

In services it says windows audio- automatic, started.

A tech guy told me its my motherboard but is there hope?
    NEVER SAY DIE

This system has an MSI mobo with onboard sound! I suggest removing the sound card and updating the mobo driver directly from MSI with their auto update

- remove spaces from address's!!!

http ://consumer.hardocp. com/article. html?art=MTA4MSwxLCxoY29uc3VtZXI=

http //www.emachines. com/products/products. html?prod=T6528

http: //global.msi. com.tw/index.php?func= proddesc&prod_no=224&maincat_no=1&cat2_no=171&cat3_no=6

It is never easy when I am working with you from the other side of the world _

Do you have a rescue disk???
  17. No Profile Picture

yes i have the rescue discs-2 of them

I should also explain that I first had trouble with the cd/dvd drive button not opening a month ago. I have to try several times to get it to open.

Then I got a blue screen saying "device drive stuck in infinite loop" (nv4_disp) a week ago.

then i restarted several times to get it working again, installed the NVIDIA drivers and thats when the audio and modem went out.

Computer seems to work well otherwise.

But in addition to that issue, I have to restart several times to get the computer to boot.

Lots of minor problems but nothing I cant deal with except not having sound and modem.

what do you think? Do the live update?

Remember the bios was flashed the other day and then the audio and modem came back for a day...:P
  18. No Profile Picture

yes i have the rescue discs-2 of them

I should also explain that I first had trouble with the cd/dvd drive button not opening a month ago. I have to try several times to get it to open.

Then I got a blue screen saying "device drive stuck in infinite loop" (nv4_disp) a week ago.

then i restarted several times to get it working again, installed the NVIDIA drivers and thats when the audio and modem went out.

Computer seems to work well otherwise.

But in addition to that issue, I have to restart several times to get the computer to boot.

Lots of minor problems but nothing I cant deal with except not having sound and modem.

what do you think? Do the live update?

Remember the bios was flashed the other day and then the audio and modem came back for a day...:P
    Sorry I should have asked you - "is your HDD partitioned???

If you have or can get access to an external HDD put all your data onto the external HDD and then use your rescue disks.

You talk about your modem so presume that you only have a dial-up connection?

I do hope that you have your data in a separate partition to your programs! If you don't I strongly recommend you download PartionMagic 8 and create two partitions with 50bg for programs leaving you 110gb for your data If you do not use a lot of programs 20gb is plenty. You can always increase your programs partition later if you start to run out of room.

Then I would try to do a clean install of XP

Even though you have flashed the bios I would suggest that go to MSI and install auto update from the link I sent you.

Also if you are using a separate sound card to the onboard audio you should turn off the audio in the bios, and install the driver that came with you sound card.
  19. No Profile Picture

I have a D drive where XP is stored I believe...4.5 gig
    It does not allow me to get in there.

"Recovery Partition

Warning!

This area of your hard disk

(or partition) contains files used

for your system recovery.

Do not delete or alter these files.

Any change to this partition could

prevent any recovery later."

I have eveything else on the C drive.
    I have cable but use the modem for winfax- for faxes only.
    I dont know how to use partition magic.
    I am a novice and know only a bit about this stuff...the bios was flashed by a tech guy...

Is this the order you are suggesting?

1. Then I would try to do a clean install of XP

2. Even though you have flashed the bios I would suggest that go to MSI and install auto update from the link I sent you.

3. Also if you are using a separate sound card to the onboard audio you should turn off the audio in the bios, and install the driver that came with you sound card.

I assume i shouldnt try this myself?
  20. No Profile Picture

I have a D drive where XP is stored I believe...4.5 gig
    It does not allow me to get in there.

"Recovery Partition

Warning!

This area of your hard disk

(or partition) contains files used

for your system recovery.

Do not delete or alter these files.

Any change to this partition could

prevent any recovery later."

I have eveything else on the C drive.
    I have cable but use the modem for winfax- for faxes only.
    I dont know how to use partition magic.
    I am a novice and know only a bit about this stuff...the bios was flashed by a tech guy...

Is this the order you are suggesting?

1. Then I would try to do a clean install of XP

2. Even though you have flashed the bios I would suggest that go to MSI and install auto update from the link I sent you.

3. Also if you are using a separate sound card to the onboard audio you should turn off the audio in the bios, and install the driver that came with you sound card.

I assume i shouldnt try this myself?
    This is not rocket science so if you follow directions exactly then you should not get into trouble Your D: drive is where your Recovery Disks work to restore your system to the state it was when you first got the system.

You need to copy all your data files (that is all files that you have created yourself - for example your photos, word documents etc) onto a DVD or external HDD or some other media. Once you have your all your data safe then you should use your Recovery disks and with luck you will have your pc running again. Then if you had added other programs after you bought the PC then you will need to install them.

If this does not work then write to me, but if it does then
    you should download Partition Magic 7 ( not 8 as it does not allow you to use it without paying) Partition Magic is very easy to use!

I presume that your C: drive is about 150gb? is that correct?

If so then with Partition Magic you should create a E: drive of 100gb for you data files, and then copy your data files back onto your new E: drive.
  21. No Profile Picture

ok this is very strange- i downloaded the file that stopped the nv4_disp that seems to have been caused by an MS update that screwd up the NVIDIA video.

This file was found on the NVIDIA forums.

IT WORKED GREAT! the sound and modem both magically came back.

But the next day I was back to square one again.

So I put the hardware acceleration down to minimal.

Again, it worked great!

Then the next day, guess what?

Back to square one again.

I just hate to have to reinstall XP- It will take several days to get everything back to where it was...

any idea why these fixes work and then dont work?
    thanks
  22. No Profile Picture

Same here

I have a toshiba tecra M5 laptop which had its system board replaced recently. When I got it back I did a fresh install of xp and the new linux ubuntu distribution. I have been unable to get the sound device to function at all using kb888111 and the sigmatel driver I got from toshiba's website. I get the device object not present message as well. The more surprising is it doesn't work under ubuntu, which hardly ever requires messing around with drivers (I can't remember ever installing a driver under ubuntu, it just does it on its own). I tried it using puppy linux as well just to check and I get the same problem. Considering I swapped the same model of system board into the computer and the first one worked fine under all three O.S. I am now pretty sure this is a hardware failure.
  23. No Profile Picture

Angry No Audio

I am having the same problem as Prareploy with audio.

I just removed Vista from my new computer; bought XP Home with SP2 and installed it. I have downloaded all the updates, except SP3.
    It is a Compaq Presario C 500 series notebook.

System Information report written at: 07/04/08 00:16:38
    System Name: KARENTOY
    [Problem Devices]

Device PNP Device ID Error Code
    PCI Device PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27D8&SUBSYS_30A5103C&REV_01\3&B1BFB68&0&D8 The drivers for this device are not installed.

On Volume Window, it says no audio device. On Hardware Window, it says This device is working properly.

Audio Codecs
    Legacy Audio Drivers
    Media Control Devices
    Legacy Video Capture Devices
    Video Codecs

I was told to install MS patch kb888111; is that true? Where do I get it? I have been to the MS site twice.

Thanks, JN
Page 7 of 10 First ... 56789 ... Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo