1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

"No Audio Device" on my Compaq SR1103WM WinXP Home SP2

I'll provide as much of a detailed description of my problem as possible.

I have been now without sound for about 5 months.

I have a Compaq SR1103WM tower with Windows XP SP2. 5 months ago I installed a bluetooth USB adapter (Blue Soleil). After I installed it, my sound went dead. I ran Norton Win Doctor and it found no problems with my sound device. I uninstalled the program and I still had no sound. My friend told me to do a "roll back" on my PC. And I did so, and it worked and I had sound.

I installed the bluetooth again and same thing happened. However this time, I could not rollback because my computer said that no changes had been made, even though there was no sound. I then uninstalled the bluetooth software. I tried to figure out what was wrong, but with no luck.

I went to the HP website, I uninstalled the audio drivers, reinstalled them. It didn't help. The funny thing is that in device manager it said my audio drivers were functioning properly, and there were no "yellow exclamation points".

After several days of trying, I gave up, and decided to live without sound on my PC.

Today, after many months, I decided to try to once and for all fix the problem.

I did a lot of searching on google, and found some posts of people having a similar problem. I went to the realtek website, and downloaded the drivers from there. I managed to get a blue icon in my 'system tray' next to my clock that gives me sound control options, but when I click one it says "there are no mixer devices available".

Now, I also found out today by going through the control panel, and clicking on 'sounds and audio devices' that it says "No audio device", and under the 'audio' and 'voice' tabs, the options are grayed out. So at least I'm close to finding out what is wrong.

If someone could please help me solve this problem I will more than greatly appreciate it. I'll keep searching on google, but I'm hoping someone here will know what to do.

Thanks in advance.
    -Peter
  3. Providing fuel for space ships
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Hi modbom and welcome to Dev Shed.

Is this an on-board sound card ? Check the BIOS and ensure that the sound card is enabled.
    The No Ma'am commandments:

1.) It is O.K. to call hooters 'knockers' and sometimes snack trays
    2.) It is wrong to be French
    3.) It is O.K. to put all bad people in a giant meat grinder
    4.) Lawyers, see rule 3
    5.) It is O.K. to drive a gas guzzler if it helps you get babes
    6.) Everyone should car pool but me
    7.) Bring back the word 'stewardesses'
    8.) Synchronized swimming is not a sport
    9.) Mud wrestling is a sport
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I went into bios, and the onboard card was set on 'auto', I set it on 'enabled' but it made no difference.

Any other suggestions?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo