1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Black/white dashes in pictures after installing graphics card

OK, I did Search for this problem before i posted.
    Basically, After i installed a Geforce 6200 OC,made by BFG, I started having some problems. All of the games i play work well, but images are being Drawn weird. Pixels seem to be missing.
    I am using Windows XP with Directx 9(of course) and i have tried all the Drivers for the Graphics card, the ones on the disc and the updated ones from the website. After trying to fix this, to no avail, i decided to grab all my Documents and Music and completely re-install windows...So now I'm sitting on a fresh copy of windows....I still haven't put any of my documents back on the computer, Only WoW, Skype, Ventrilo, and Firefox but i am still having this problem...I would post a picture of the problem so that you can see, but i cant post Links hopefully someone can help me out.

[IMG] http: //i720.photobucket.com/albums/ww207/Beachj/Exibit_A.jpg [/IMG]
  3. They're coming to take me away

Welcome to Dev Shed.

I think the black lines add some flair to Windows..

So the old video card still works just fine? Could be a bad vid card that you just purchased. (Was this purchased or given to you by someone else?)

Check device manager (Right-click my computer and go to properties, Hardware tab, Device Manager). See if there are any problems listed for your video card.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Aye, as Hiker stated, check to make sure the Windows Device Manager isn't giving any warnings or errors listed for that device. Also, what card are you upgrading from, and is your 6200 0C AGP or PCI? IIRC, BFG makes a card for each flavor.

What type/model/rating power supply do you have in the system, and what type of cooling is in the case as well? It's definitely a possibility that you got a bad card, but it's best to rule out the other common factors for graphical issues like that first.
  7. No Profile Picture

The card is PCI but i dont know anything else about the computer and i dont know where i should start looking. The computer was built for my Girlfriends mother like 5 years ago...she had a 5200 PCI in it. after that went bad i bought the 6200 OC from....umm...
    Circuit city...fairly cheap but it was an upgrade and she doesnt need much for a her computer... The Device manager says there is nothing wrong with the card...but the computer has 3 fans...i keep everything clean and nothing is overheating...i also tried using the device manager properties page to "auto" update the drives and it said i have the most up-to-date drives installed.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Jbeach
    The card is PCI but i dont know anything else about the computer and i dont know where i should start looking. The computer was built for my Girlfriends mother like 5 years ago...she had a 5200 PCI in it. after that went bad i bought the 6200 OC from....umm...
    Pop the case open and look at the side of the power supply. There should be a sticker on the side of it. If you can take a picture of it, that's best. Otherwise, look primarily for the brand/model.

Circuit city...fairly cheap but it was an upgrade and she doesnt need much for a her computer... The Device manager says there is nothing wrong with the card...but the computer has 3 fans...i keep everything clean and nothing is overheating...i also tried using the device manager properties page to "auto" update the drives and it said i have the most up-to-date drives installed.
    The Device Manager will typically not know what the latest/best drivers are for something like a graphics card, but if you've installed updated ones from Nvidia's website, then you're probably set there.

If you're confident that the cooling is adequate, then you're probably left with either underpowering on the card (unlikely on a any PCI card, let alone a 6200 but better safe than sorry to check) or the card being defective. If you have another computer or a friend with one, you could always try the card in their system and see if the lines appear there as well.
  11. No Profile Picture

Ok, I'll check that tonight.
    We have two desktops so i can check it on the other computer.
    and i can take a picture of the power supply.
    Also, with the computer being as old as it is, could it be any other hardware issues?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo