1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Best budget graphics card?

What kind of budget graphics card should I buy? My quad core cannot run any of the new games on its built in card. Almost like game developers gave up trying to optimize any of them.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

You can only optimize so far; built-in graphics chips just don't have the physical capability of rendering complicated 3d graphics of the type that you find in many newer games.

That said though, most games are not on the cutting edge right now - the physical hardware in dedicated graphics cards is ahead of most of them. There is still a substantial performance difference between dedicated graphics cards and built-in graphics chips though.

What is your actual budget? You can literally spend anywhere from $50 to $1000 or more on a graphics card, and the more you spend the better it will be. The point of best value is in the $150 - $250 range, but you can probably get a card capable of playing games for less - particularly if you're willing to buy used on ebay.

My system right now is running an ATI HD5850, which was not even top of the line when it came out three years ago, but is still very capable of running modern games with an acceptable level of quality and speed. I believe I paid somewhere between $250 and $300 for it originally. However, ATI has terrible drivers; if you use more than one monitor I absolutely suggest that you do not buy an ATI card.

The best way to judge the performance of a card is to review benchmarks of it.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

The best budget friendly card I found is the XFX CORE Edition FX-777A-ZNF4 Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card. Long name I know but it will play any new game on medium settings at 1080p and older games on ultra at 1080p.

Battlefield 3 a oldish game will run at 1080p custom ultra. So that is nice for a card at $114 plus a FREE GIFT: AMD GIFT - RADEON BRONZE REWARD for ONE FREE Game (value:$39.99) So it sweetens the deal.

Also I saw this card sell on newegg for $94.99 after $20.00 rebate card. With free game!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150598
  7. Contributing User

We have a Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 with 2GB Graphics RAM that can run all the latest games without many problems.

This is a relatively inexpensive gamer's graphics card.

If you are into playing the games with the highest setting possible, then this card may till have some lag issues.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660, 2GB looks nice but it might be over kill for a budget build. Resolution: 2560 x 1600 At $200 you could put down another $50 and have a next Gen card like an ASUS GeForce GTX 760 2GB 256-bit with the new cooling red and black chase looks really nice also the chrome heat pipes make me think Dirt bike haha.

MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660, 2GB GDDR5, PCI Express 3.0 Graphics Card

http://www.amazon.com/MSI-GeForce-Graphics-N660-2GD5-OC/dp/B009K1PY4W

Vs

ASUS GTX760-DC2OC-2GD5 GeForce GTX 760 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121775

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo