1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Unhappy Capturing TV video (into MPEG-2 format) with the HP Analog TV Tuner express card

I am quite technologically-challenged, yet recently i bought a HP Pavilion dv8375LA Notebook PC (Link) , and it comes with the HP Analog Tv Tuner Express Card and Media Center program, with wich I can recieve and record cable tv signal... but it does in such a format that can only be understood by Media Center...

I have tried downloading a few programs that provide the video capturing service (Video Constructor, Intervideo WinDVR3), but no dice... it recognizes the card but there is no image or sound, let alone the ability to record...

Maybe im just a fool, but i dont get it, i have tried finding help online but i havent found anything related to this subject.

Is it posible this card only works with media center and not with any other software?

please help... i am desparate and stumped...

BTW: I live in Venezuela (not that i think that will make any difference with the problem)

PS: here are some product especifications Link , Link
    Last edited by aitken325i; September 7th, 2006 at 07:08 AM. Reason: Fixed links
  3. Providing fuel for space ships
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Hi Loloy_SV and welcome to Dev Shed.

I've fixed your links in your above post so they are now clickable.

I'm pretty sure that the 'HP Analog Tv Tuner Express Card' is designed for use with Media Centre, It may be possible to capture the video but I'll need to look into it more for you.
    The No Ma'am commandments:

1.) It is O.K. to call hooters 'knockers' and sometimes snack trays
    2.) It is wrong to be French
    3.) It is O.K. to put all bad people in a giant meat grinder
    4.) Lawyers, see rule 3
    5.) It is O.K. to drive a gas guzzler if it helps you get babes
    6.) Everyone should car pool but me
    7.) Bring back the word 'stewardesses'
    8.) Synchronized swimming is not a sport
    9.) Mud wrestling is a sport
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanx for the help, I really appreciate it (forgive if I misspell, but it has been a while since I've written in english)...

If there is any other info you might need, that I should post, please say so..

BTW: The only other software present that offers capture capability is the Windows Movie Maker, but it always says that 'the video device is in use. close other applications that may use this device and try again'... but there isn't any program open...
  7. No Profile Picture

I've had some small success...

I read your post and wanted to let you know that Sonic's MyDVD will support the HP Express Video Card as Video Capture device. MyDVD was included software on my Pavilion PC.

When you bring up Sonic MyDVD, you need to select the Direct-to-Disc option. Then select DVD. A wizard should pop up and you need to enter a project name. Click next and with any luck you should see a TV screen with a simple tuner and recorder. This software is NOT a PVR. You can record video from a televison signal if you are there to initiate it.

If you're like me and expect that the Media Center Edition was automatically included when you purchased the Analog TV Card, this may be the closest you'll come without purchase the XP Media Center Edition.

There is software called Media Portal that looks quite nice. It doesn't have a driver for the HP Express Analog VideoCard yet.

The version information for MyDVD is :

Module Name: Sonic DigitalMedia Plus v7
    Build: 2.4.33a
    Serial Number: SC-623B17P
    Copyright: Sonic Solutions 2005
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing (ab{normal})User

What I do is record to media center, and then I use a registry hack from TheGreenButton to make it so I can improt into WMM, and edit there.
  11. No Profile Picture

Thumbs up I found the solution!!!

I had the same problem, I didn't like the media center because I think is slow and not so reliable as an XP pro installed by myself.. And also my HD broke itself before I could made the recovery disks (do not trust the Hard Drives of the Pavilions!!!) then I lost my media center, but I do like the tv tuner.. actually is the main reason I choose this computer!! You guys only need to download the NERO 7 ultra edition... it have it own media center inside (named Nero home) and it recognize the HP analog tv tuner express card perfecty... even better... it records in mpeg!!!! is SWEET!! now I don't miss the XP media center AT ALL!!! Nero even is pretty much compatible with the remote control. It have a some bugs with the channels but is not a big deal compared with the benefits!! GOOD LUCK!!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo