1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Best Card for PCI ExpressX16?

Greetings

I haven't really built enough computers, or read enough tech articles to know what is good. I'm sure there is a lot of room for opinion, but I'm hoping someone can give a little advice.

Currently I have a Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS running on my Windows Vista Home Premium machine. I hope to soon upgrade to Windows 7, but not just yet.

Since about a month ago my Graphics seem to be sluggish, and now I will get freeze ups or complete failures. I get messages that say it's due to the drivers, but I've tried updating these many times now, and it just isn't worth the hassle.

The PCI Express X16 cards seem pretty cheap (at least the ones I've seen) so it seems I could just update and be done with it. Can anyone tell me what is better than what I have and what is a solid card?

Naturally I looked at the Nvidia 9 series, but I've heard they aren't that great compared to Radeon cards. Any advice?
  3. Lord of the Dance
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Originally Posted by freshrod
    Naturally I looked at the Nvidia 9 series, but I've heard they aren't that great compared to Radeon cards.
    Compared to which Radeon cards?

You will have to say what you budget is.

If you want one of the newest brand, the serie from NVidia is called "GTX" and those from ATI/AMD is called "Radeon HD".
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Sorry I wasn't more clear. Like I said, I'm not really up on all the latest hardware.

Anyway, it's too late. I ordered this:
    Galaxy 95TGE8HUFEXX GeForce 9500 GT 1GB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

I really needed something since my old card is completely shot now and I can only bootup in safe mode.

I guess I didn't think I could use a PCI Express 2.0 x16 card.

I don't really know what the difference between PCI Express and PCI Express 2.0 is, so I thought I'd better play it safe.

It was pretty cheap anyway, and I can always upgrade when I upgrade to Windows7.
  7. No Profile Picture

Your video card is the most important component as far as performance goes in most games. A freaking Celeron D with a 7900GT for example would blow the pants off a Core 2 Duo if it were equipped with a 7600GS in most of today's games. I'm not advocating a Celeron D; I'm just illustrating how important the video card is.
  9. Lord of the Dance
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Originally Posted by freshrod
    I guess I didn't think I could use a PCI Express 2.0 x16 card.

I don't really know what the difference between PCI Express and PCI Express 2.0 is, so I thought I'd better play it safe.
    PCI Express 2.0 is faster then PCI Express (1.0).

PCI-E 2.0 cards does have backward support for PCI-E 1.0, but it will then only run at the speed at 1.0.

Originally Posted by jaikanth123
    Your video card is the most important component as far as performance goes in most games. A freaking Celeron D with a 7900GT for example would blow the pants off a Core 2 Duo if it were equipped with a 7600GS in most of today's games. I'm not advocating a Celeron D; I'm just illustrating how important the video card is.
    That is not true, you want to have a balanced system.
    There are many games that benefit more with a better CPU than GPU.

most games? does this also includes all flash games or other 2D games?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo