1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Causes for no video card output

I bought a barebone system that came with an onboard ATI vid card. The mother board (Asus M3A78-CM) has an x16 PCI-E slot so I bought a Galaxy brand GeForce 9600 GT. The mobo is supposed to be compatible with PCI-E 1.0 and 2.0 so in theory it should work. I have the card installed and followed the asus instructions for the mobo and the video card, but Im striking out. With the onboard card hooked up it works. But when I change the GPU settings in the BIOS and plug in the new card with a DVI cable I get nothing on the monitor. I've done everything by their instructions but I've got no picture. The card is getting power because the fan is spinning but it just wont give me a picture. Anyone have some advice? I did send an email to Galaxy about the card but they probably wont get back to me until Monday or Tuesday. Help please!!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

PCI Express cards typically require an additional power connector (Seen on left) and will not function properly without it. The fan and card will get some power from the slot itself, but it's not nearly enough to run a 9600GT. Make sure this is connected.

If you haven't already, remove the card and re-seat it in its slot as well.

If you can as well, try the card in another computer (friend, family member, another one you may have sitting around?) and see if it's possible the card is a dud.

But when I change the GPU settings in the BIOS and plug in the new card with a DVI cable I get nothing on the monitor.
    For reference, what setting are you changing in the BIOS specifically, and what are you changing it to?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo