1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Dell Dimension 2100/2200 graphic card compatibility

Alright, I've been meaning to get a graphics card for a while now, but I'm pretty bad with computer hardware, so to decrease risk of me buying something bad, unneeded, or that has compatibility, issues, I decide to ask you guys to hep me with some questions.

I have a Dell dimension 2200 desktop computer. other than getting some extra ram, I've done nothing to the out of the box computer.

I'm about 99% sure that that my computer has PCI slots not PCIe. If I get a card that is PCI does that mean it is automatically compatible? or is there more to look at?

I need a well rounded card that i will use mainly for gaming. to play the "games for windows"b that were ported from xbox + others. not too expensive, but pretty decent.

If anyone could answer any questions, or give any suggestions/insight please feel free to help...It will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
  3. Type Cast Exception
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Dell Dimension 2200 Specifications

Your computer is over six years old. You do not have PCIe you have AGP for video which is pretty ancient by now. The only choice you really have is to get a standard PCI graphics card, you won't likely find a decent AGP to upgrade to these days. A PCI (not PCIe) should work assuming you have a slot open for it.

Even with an improved graphics card I would not bet on playing too many recent games as many require a lot more overall computing power than you have, not just the graphics card. This would probably be especially true for XBox titles.

Bioshock, for example, requires a processor twice as fast (P4 2.4GHz or a Core 2 Duo) as the one you have in your Dell. It also requires at least 1GB of RAM (2GB strongly suggested).

If you plan on playing games such as this you should read the specifications on the games you intend to play before making this upgrade.

Comments on this post

• van 2.0 agrees : Agreed. Trying to upgrade a Celeron ageing machine huh?
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I would not bother upgrading an ageing Celeron but would rather use it to test out Linux or to install W2K.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo