1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Graphics Card VGA out -> RCA Composite Video on TV

Hi all,

Ok this is my problem...... Ive got a laptop that i want to connect to the TV. However the laptop only has a VGA out plug which is to connect a monitor to it if needs be. It has no S-Video or any other connections i could use.

The TV also has no S-video input or VGA input as its getting on abit now. The only input it has are the composite RCA sockets which consist of a red, white and yellow jack. Pictured below:

Is it possible to make or buy a cable that will plug into the VGA port on the computer and then plug into the yellow jack on the TV? The reason i say just the yellow jack on the TV is because those of you who know what im on about will know that the yellow jack is the video port and the red and white jacks are for sound. Im not bothered about picture quality, i just need to display whats on my computer screen onto the TV.

I found the following wiring diagram by searching on google:

However the above diagram only shows you howto output to RGB. I want to output to RCA composite video (yellow jack) from my graphics card VGA port.

If anyone could help i would really appriciate it

Thanks
  3. Just another guy
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

The difficulty is that the VGA output and RCA composite input are not compatible. You can't just get a cable to connect the two. You can purchase adapters such as this to do it for you.
    --Dave--

U2kgSG9jIExlZ2VyZSBTY2lzLCBOaW1pdW0gRXJ1ZGl0aW9uaXMgSGFiZXM=

My hobby: collecting US coins
  5. No Profile Picture

Yeh thats what i thought m8, but ive just found this on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DESKTOP-LAPTOP...QQcmdZViewItem

Whats the deal with that? I mailed the guy whos selling and he said plug the VGA connector into your port on the laptop and then plug the yellow RCA composite video cable into your TV and it will work!

Is this worth getting or will it not work?
  7. Just another guy
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

I can't get to ebay from work, I'll have to look this evening when I get home.
    --Dave--

U2kgSG9jIExlZ2VyZSBTY2lzLCBOaW1pdW0gRXJ1ZGl0aW9uaXMgSGFiZXM=

My hobby: collecting US coins
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by jim_cliff11
    Yeh thats what i thought m8, but ive just found this on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DESKTOP-LAPTOP...QQcmdZViewItem

Whats the deal with that? I mailed the guy whos selling and he said plug the VGA connector into your port on the laptop and then plug the yellow RCA composite video cable into your TV and it will work!

Is this worth getting or will it not work?

I was looking for the same info and found that you found this on ebay and wanted tot let you know that same cable is available at this link http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...ormat=2&style=

its the exact same product for $5.00 and I got it the day after I ordered it, and I connected it to my laptop and nothing happened, tried restarting and i cant get my video card to recognize it, I know its not my port because i have connected it to a projector before...
    ...anyway if you get any info on how to connect it and get it working please let me know if you can get it to work, also there are native VGA to TV converters but those run from $80 to $200, just run a search under VGA to TV converter on Google and you can find those...but do please let me know if you figure it out... danteka at gmail dot com
  11. No Profile Picture

I bought the VGA to RCA / S-video

I bought the VGA to RCA / S-video a couple of months ago. It is technically possible, and there has to be some reason they make them. but i haven't figured it out yet my self. good luck. if you figure it out drop me a line <--mod edit - email address removed-->
    Last edited by aitken325i; July 27th, 2006 at 03:47 AM. Reason: email address removed
  13. Providing fuel for space ships
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Hi Pooker1981 and welcome to Dev Shed.

I have edited your post to remove your e-mail address. It's not wise to have your e-mail address posted on a public forum.
    The No Ma'am commandments:

1.) It is O.K. to call hooters 'knockers' and sometimes snack trays
    2.) It is wrong to be French
    3.) It is O.K. to put all bad people in a giant meat grinder
    4.) Lawyers, see rule 3
    5.) It is O.K. to drive a gas guzzler if it helps you get babes
    6.) Everyone should car pool but me
    7.) Bring back the word 'stewardesses'
    8.) Synchronized swimming is not a sport
    9.) Mud wrestling is a sport
  15. No Profile Picture

"It will work with laptops and desktops with VGA cards that has TV-Out function capability."

Better search for a "converter" and not an adapter.
  17. No Profile Picture

Driver

I have bought the same cable but didnt work. Maybe it works with the driver you can find on coelho's homepage (which you find with google)

I havent tried it out myself yet but it s worth a shot
  19. No Profile Picture

Graphics card~~~~~~~~ or Adapter

In order to use the VGA to RCA converter/Adaptor, your laptop/computer would have to have a TV-out functionality~

If your laptop does not have this functionality, you will need a converter, that i've heard does not come with that good the quality...

If your choice faulters after this, you may choose what i'm about to choose... the graphics card with the RCA output jacks already built in. and possibly an adaptation for the TV-out functionality......

PC CHIPS SiS AGP8X 64MB DDR WITH TV OUT RETAIL VIDEO ( VGA, GRAPHICS ) CARD

yea i had pictures and everything for them... but i'm a new user...
  21. No Profile Picture

VGA to RCA / S VID

Hello,

Did you guys get the VGA to RCA to work? I have a similar problem (actually I think it's the same thing only reversed) I'd like to run by you.

I have an ATI Radeon 8500 All-In-Wonder video card. It's been a great card, and it does support two monitors. The primary out on the card is HD/DVI and the second is RCA (red,white,yellow) which is for connecting an actual television/monitor. I had my Viewsonics 17" flat panel on the primary (using a DVI to VGA adapter that came with the card) and my Philips television on the second, which was great for watching internet videos straight from the pc, but terrible for normal pc operation because you just can't get the resolution on a regular (non LCD) television. It's very hard to read anything while using the TV as the monitor. One more thing if I didn't mention it: the only input on the Viewsonic is the standard VGA.

So, yesterday I bought a new Samsung Syncmaster 2333HD. It's great, and it has every input/output imaginable on it. I was actually finally able to remove the DVI to VGA adapter from the card and plug straight into it for the new monitor. Well, now that I have two actual monitors now, I wanted to hook up the old Viewsonics to the second out on the card and use it primarily for video editing and a few other apps, and here of course is the problem: the only input on the old monitor is VGA. My other output on the card is RCA. I thought about using the Samsung as monitor number two, but I really don't want to as the operating system usually defaults and directs everything to monitor one unless specified otherwise. It would most likely be a pain.

So, I don't know if you guys needed to know all that crap, but anyway....................my main question is.........................did the VGA to RCA adapter work? I ordered it today. Got it for $4. I guess if it doesn't work I'm not out all that much.

Thanks

Originally Posted by Rastaguy2
    In order to use the VGA to RCA converter/Adaptor, your laptop/computer would have to have a TV-out functionality~

If your laptop does not have this functionality, you will need a converter, that i've heard does not come with that good the quality...

If your choice faulters after this, you may choose what i'm about to choose... the graphics card with the RCA output jacks already built in. and possibly an adaptation for the TV-out functionality......

PC CHIPS SiS AGP8X 64MB DDR WITH TV OUT RETAIL VIDEO ( VGA, GRAPHICS ) CARD

yea i had pictures and everything for them... but i'm a new user...
  23. No Profile Picture

Adapters work but ...

The adapter / cable WILL work - but ONLY if your video card is already capable of TV OUT. Projectors are not a sign of TV Out, they are designed for PC / TV in. I suggest checking with the manufacturer of your video card - if it makes no mention of video out, forget it. You will also want to check with the cable/adapter manufacturer for a list of cards that will work with their adapter.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo