1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Help! im new to this stuff.

I dont know much about video cards, so i have a few questions i hope u guys could answer. first, whats aa/af ff ll dd/ ...? does that have to do with those numbers like 345/450? what do these numbers mean? Are they overclocking numbers? how do u overclock?
    can only certain cards overclock?
    well thanks and ples try to answer my nooby questions.
  3. Just another guy
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Originally Posted by DarkFire
    I dont know much about video cards, so i have a few questions i hope u guys could answer. first, whats aa/af ff ll dd/ ...? does that have to do with those numbers like 345/450? what do these numbers mean? Are they overclocking numbers? how do u overclock?
    can only certain cards overclock?
    well thanks and ples try to answer my nooby questions.
    aa= anti-aliasing. This is a software technique that "blurs" the edges of objects to make them look more realistic. Its quite intensive on the graphics card.

af= anisotropic filtering. Used to retain sharpness of 3d images in the "distance". Most intensive on the graphics card.

http://whatis.techtarget.com/definit...ax1679,00.html has many more video and multimedia terms explained

The 345/450 is the memory speed and core speed of the card, though I don't know what card that is referring to, doesn't look quite like any of the newest. Perhaps it was overclocked?

You overclock by increasing the memory and core speed, using software to control the settings. You can do it with pretty much any card, but it does void the warranty, and can cause damage to your card.

HTH
    --Dave--

U2kgSG9jIExlZ2VyZSBTY2lzLCBOaW1pdW0gRXJ1ZGl0aW9uaXMgSGFiZXM=

My hobby: collecting US coins
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Thanks, but how do u turn on and off aa and af? And what can overclocking just a little too much do?
  7. Just another guy
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Originally Posted by DarkFire
    Thanks, but how do u turn on and off aa and af? And what can overclocking just a little too much do?
    AA and AF are generally used in games, and can be turned on/off in the options for that game when you run it. Too much oc can overheat the card and fry it.
    --Dave--

U2kgSG9jIExlZ2VyZSBTY2lzLCBOaW1pdW0gRXJ1ZGl0aW9uaXMgSGFiZXM=

My hobby: collecting US coins

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo