Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
    #1
  1. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    8
    Rep Power
    0

    Question IBM ThinkPad x40 WinXP Audio HELP


    Ok so the other day my laptop just rebooted without me pressing anything. When it started back up my wireless icon was gone then the next day it appeared. Since then my Audio has not been working. The icon is gone and when i go to volume control it says this...
    "There are no active mixer devices available. To install mixer devices, Go to Control Panel, click Printers and Other Hardware, and then click add Hardware."
    I tried doing that but no luck.
    I also read that going to Administrative Tools, then Services, and scroll down to Windows Audio and press start would work. I did that but it was already started.
    HELP!
    do you think my built in speakers are completely gone? or can i fix this in any way???
  2. #2
  3. They're coming to take me away

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    5,103
    Rep Power
    5049
    Originally Posted by confusedlala
    Ok so the other day my laptop just rebooted without me pressing anything. When it started back up my wireless icon was gone then the next day it appeared. Since then my Audio has not been working. The icon is gone and when i go to volume control it says this...
    "There are no active mixer devices available. To install mixer devices, Go to Control Panel, click Printers and Other Hardware, and then click add Hardware."
    I tried doing that but no luck.
    I also read that going to Administrative Tools, then Services, and scroll down to Windows Audio and press start would work. I did that but it was already started.
    HELP!
    do you think my built in speakers are completely gone? or can i fix this in any way???
    Go to Device Manager and see if there are any red x's or yellow exclamation marks next to any items.

    Also, try looking through Event Viewer to see if any errors have populated.

    Have you restarted the computer again since? If not, try that as well.
  4. #3
  5. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    8
    Rep Power
    0
    Originally Posted by hiker
    Go to Device Manager and see if there are any red x's or yellow exclamation marks next to any items.

    Also, try looking through Event Viewer to see if any errors have populated.

    Have you restarted the computer again since? If not, try that as well.
    i dont know how to get to the device manage or event viewer...
  6. #4
  7. They're coming to take me away

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    5,103
    Rep Power
    5049
    Originally Posted by confusedlala
    i dont know how to get to the device manage or event viewer...
    Assuming you're using XP:

    Device Manager -
    Right-click My Computer, Select Properties
    Click the Hardware tab
    Click Device Manager

    Event Viewer
    Control Panel --> Administrative Tools --> Event Viewer
  8. #5
  9. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    8
    Rep Power
    0
    Originally Posted by hiker
    Assuming you're using XP:

    Device Manager -
    Right-click My Computer, Select Properties
    Click the Hardware tab
    Click Device Manager

    Event Viewer
    Control Panel --> Administrative Tools --> Event Viewer
    in the event viewer i have alot of error's....
    mostly repeats... in 2009... which section should i be looking for sound?
  10. #6
  11. They're coming to take me away

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    5,103
    Rep Power
    5049
    Originally Posted by confusedlala
    in the event viewer i have alot of error's....
    mostly repeats... in 2009... which section should i be looking for sound?
    System section.

    Anything in Device Manager?

    And have you rebooted since it automatically restarted?
  12. #7
  13. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    8
    Rep Power
    0
    Originally Posted by hiker
    System section.

    Anything in Device Manager?

    And have you rebooted since it automatically restarted?
    ok nothing in device manager everything seems fine.
    but in the system section of event viewer there's alot of errors...
    and yes i have restarted my computer since...
  14. #8
  15. They're coming to take me away

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    5,103
    Rep Power
    5049
    Originally Posted by confusedlala
    ok nothing in device manager everything seems fine.
    but in the system section of event viewer there's alot of errors...
    and yes i have restarted my computer since...
    What are they dates for the most recent errors? If the dates are within the time range you've been experiencing problems, what are the errors? You can also click on the Support link if they seem to pertain to the problem.

    If you have the Drivers CD that came with your machine, you may want to try reinstalling the driver for the audio device.
  16. #9
  17. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    8
    Rep Power
    0
    Originally Posted by hiker
    What are they dates for the most recent errors? If the dates are within the time range you've been experiencing problems, what are the errors? You can also click on the Support link if they seem to pertain to the problem.

    If you have the Drivers CD that came with your machine, you may want to try reinstalling the driver for the audio device.
    most recent is today.. this is crazy do u think my computer is crashed. i dont have the cd.
  18. #10
  19. They're coming to take me away

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    5,103
    Rep Power
    5049
    Originally Posted by confusedlala
    most recent is today.. this is crazy do u think my computer is crashed. i dont have the cd.
    Go here and download the audio driver for your Operating System. Install it.
  20. #11
  21. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    8
    Rep Power
    0
    Originally Posted by hiker
    Go here and download the audio driver for your Operating System. Install it.
    ok so when i install this what folder should i put it in
  22. #12
  23. They're coming to take me away

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    5,103
    Rep Power
    5049
    Originally Posted by confusedlala
    ok so when i install this what folder should i put it in
    You can leave default values.. just go through and let it install wherever. Basically it will extract to a folder and install from there. It should automatically run the Setup process, but if not, navigate to the folder and run the setup file.
  24. #13
  25. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    8
    Rep Power
    0
    Originally Posted by hiker
    You can leave default values.. just go through and let it install wherever. Basically it will extract to a folder and install from there. It should automatically run the Setup process, but if not, navigate to the folder and run the setup file.
    i did exactly wat the instruction said and rebooted and everything and when the install is done it say driver not found, reboot and try again, i did and it still says the same thing..
  26. #14
  27. They're coming to take me away

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    5,103
    Rep Power
    5049
    Originally Posted by confusedlala
    i did exactly wat the instruction said and rebooted and everything and when the install is done it say driver not found, reboot and try again, i did and it still says the same thing..
    When does it say driver not found?

    You downloaded the right driver, right? X40 vs X41...
  28. #15
  29. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    8
    Rep Power
    0
    Originally Posted by hiker
    When does it say driver not found?

    You downloaded the right driver, right? X40 vs X41...

    once soundmax is finish downloading or whatever it was doing it said driver not found.
    yes i downloaded the drive for x40
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo