1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Installing TV Tuner Cards

I ordered a TV Tuner card but the installation manual is in Swedish. Anyhow I inserted the card into a vacant PCI slot and turned on my comp. I'm trying to backup some VHS's onto my harddrive so I hooked the VCR up to the TV Tuner card with a coaxial RF cable.

The card came with Windows software but I use Linux so I installed TVTime and ran it then hit the play button on the VCR but unfortunately nothings coming through. I don't really know how to diagnose what the problem is. Maybe its the VCR, maybe its the tuner card, maybe its the software I don't know.

Is there any way to test if the TV Tuner card is installed properly and working with Linux? I don't have any TV socket near me so I can't feed TV signals into it to test it like that. Not to stray off topic but on the back of my VCR there are 3 sockets. 1 SCART, 1 male RF socket that says TV (I assume thats the output signal) and 1 female RF socket that doesn't have a worded label just a symbol like this _ll_ upside down. Can anyone tell me what that female RF socket with the funny symbol is for? Also would that SCART socket be for input or output from the VCR?

Sorry for asking so many questions I just don't know where to go from here. The installation manuals in Swedish and the software they provided is for Windows.They also provided a remote control and an IR sensor but I'd imagine you'd need some kinda software for that too.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Have you checked the card manufacturer's site to see if they provide Linux drivers?...if not, you may or may not be out of luck.

you might check out Myth TV

It's a PVR that has a lot of users and maybe through their support forums you can find a driver if one is not available via normal channels...

Good Luck
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

They don't seem to make drivers for Linux unfortunately. The card is an NQ-6400 from some Swedish company called NorthQ. Theres no English even on the box its all Swedish or Danish or some funny language like that. I spotted the word Dansk there so it must be a Danish company.

Petty I don't have Windows I wonder if I can install some kinda virtual OS software. I tried installing the driver with WINE but it wont work.

Can any linux users help me out here? Would some kinda virtual OS software work?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by MrSparkle
    They don't seem to make drivers for Linux unfortunately. The card is an NQ-6400 from some Swedish company called NorthQ. Theres no English even on the box its all Swedish or Danish or some funny language like that. I spotted the word Dansk there so it must be a Danish company.

Petty I don't have Windows I wonder if I can install some kinda virtual OS software. I tried installing the driver with WINE but it wont work.

Can any linux users help me out here? Would some kinda virtual OS software work?
    VMWare would do the trick.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo