1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

How to know if laptop graphics card is onboard or external?

Hi,

I have an HP dv2530ae laptop which suddenly stopped displaying anything on the screen. (Computer boots and logs on to windows, but blank black screen, even if i connect to an external monitor via vga)

I took to an HP service center; their diagnosis is that the graphics card is not working (as expected) and that I have to replace the entire motherboard (NOT as expected) [which will cost me around $500, almost the price of a new laptop]

My question is the following;

My own knowledge tells me that when a laptop has a graphics card by nVidia (and mine has, even has the sticker "Graphics by nVidia") this means that the graphics card is NOT on-board...ie, the graphics card should be replaced, not the entire motherboard...

Is my information correct?

I contacted hp.com customer support, one agent confirmed my theory (and told me that only the graphics card should be replaced, not the entire board), while another said that no, the entire board should be replaced...

I am going to the customer center tomorrow to pick up my laptop (and possibly yell at them) so I should be 'equipped' with some solid knowledge about the subject...

Any help is much appreciated,

Thank you
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Both nvidia and ATI make integrated graphics as well as discrete graphics so it's impossible to say without knowing the model number of your graphics card. In the case of laptops though it's far more likely to be an integrated graphics chip, and even if the chip would normally be discrete it's entirely possible that it is permanently attached to the motherboard anyway.

I've found that if you 'suggest' problems to dumb support reps they will usually agree with you. If you suggested to the support person that you might only have to replace the graphics card they probably agreed with you because they really have no idea. If the one who said you needed to replace the whole motherboard was disagreeing with a suggestion you made then it probably means he's right.

This is one of the biggest disadvantages to laptops.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I have a HP DV9000z (a so called "Desktop replacement") laptop. It came with a Nvidia 6150 graphics card which, at the time, was a decent card. I also want to know is it onboard or external?
  7. Just another guy
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Originally Posted by JohnRocks
    I have a HP DV9000z (a so called "Desktop replacement") laptop. It came with a Nvidia 6150 graphics card which, at the time, was a decent card. I also want to know is it onboard or external?
    The 6150 is a motherboard gpu, not a discrete card.
    --Dave--

U2kgSG9jIExlZ2VyZSBTY2lzLCBOaW1pdW0gRXJ1ZGl0aW9uaXMgSGFiZXM=

My hobby: collecting US coins

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo