my system specs:
    MSI x1950pro
    rosewill 550W
    2gb OCZ ram
    amd 4200+
    MSI k9a platinum mobo crossfire xpress 3200 chipset
    20.1" viewsonic vx2035wm LCD
    windows XP pro SP2

i'm having monitor flicker issues with my LCD. it only happens at my monitor's native 1680x1050 @ 60Hz resolution (max supported). there is a very noticible pulsating occurring mostly along the top half of the monitor. this happens as soon as the XP welcome screen comes up and persists for hours and hours or it is gone after a simple, quick refresh of the monitor's screen (such as during a game's load-up sequence). the flickering is erratic in terms of its duration. i have tried an innumerable amount of things to remedy and even diagnose the problem. my x1950 comes with VGA and DVI. flickering occurrs through both ports. i plug my monitor into my laptop (which is running on an ATI x600 mobility graphics chip AS WELL AS THE SAME RESOLUTION) and there is absolutely NO flicker (using the VGA on my laptop). i have tried about 5 different versions of CCC and the ati display driver as well as at least one or two versions of the omega catalyst drivers. no flicker when another monitor (17in LCD, 13in CRT) is plugged in (however i havent been able to test at the same 1680x1050 resolution with other monitors). haven't tried reseating the card or using the DVI-to-VGA adapter yet. computer is not with me at college. i moved to an interference-free area and still there's flickering. i tried a new DVI and VGA cable and still there's flickering. i'm still unsure whether or not i tried running my display under the windows monitor driver or viewsonic's drivers first. there is definitely flicker with viewsonic's drivers.

what do you guys think? driver issue? the card? the monitor? i've tried so many different things and i've poured so much money (poor college kid) into this machine that i'm a little desperate at this point. i've been trying to sell the card, but is the card really to blame? i was sure a week or so ago that it was, but not so much anymore. i bought my X1950PRO from newegg for $154.99 and i think that i might have paid a higher price than that for going with the "value buy". would buying a cheapo (MSI) version of the x1950pro cause this? i want to get as much money together as i can and buy an X1950XT. do you all think that would that solve the flickering issue? are there any drivers that i can try that i wouldn't have already found and tried? is there a windows update for viewsonic monitors? with all the money that i spent on this system and the decent technology that this machine is built around, one would be inclined to think that everything should work more or less the way it's supposed to...right?

thanks everyone.
  3. Providing fuel for space ships
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Hi East and welcome to Dev Shed.

Have you tried updating the drivers to the latest version for the card ? Always use drivers from the card vendor.

If it is still flickering, I would lower the resolution and/or refresh rate.
    The No Ma'am commandments:

1.) It is O.K. to call hooters 'knockers' and sometimes snack trays
    2.) It is wrong to be French
    3.) It is O.K. to put all bad people in a giant meat grinder
    4.) Lawyers, see rule 3
    5.) It is O.K. to drive a gas guzzler if it helps you get babes
    6.) Everyone should car pool but me
    7.) Bring back the word 'stewardesses'
    8.) Synchronized swimming is not a sport
    9.) Mud wrestling is a sport
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

thanks aitken

i've tried all different versions of the video card drivers and nothing worked. i can't lower the resolution on my monitor because the picture is degraded and distorted when it's not set to 1680x1050. my refresh rate is set at 60Hz for the native 1680x1050. what's the point of having a good video card and a decent LCD if it doesnt display without flicker at its native resolution? i'm a tad frustrated by all this nonsense
  7. Trapped on the forums...help
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

how old is this monitor? to me it sounds like your back light is dieing

my only guess would be to adjust the brightness of the monitor, if that doesn't help then you could try resetting the monitor back to default settings and see what happens

it might be covered under warranty, so i would look into that if its relativity new, if its old then i would say you probably need to get a new one
  9. No Profile Picture

i bought that monitor no more than a month ago. i don't think that it's the backlight though because there is absolutely no flickering when i plug it into another computer with a lower-end graphics accelerator that displays the same resolution and uses the same refresh rate. i'm so stumped at this point...i put the card up for sale but i'm having doubts now which is why i'm posting this thread. i should have made sure that it was definitely the card. the monitor is new(not refurbished) and only a month old. the monitor works in another computer running the same settings. different sets of drivers don't correct the issue. wouldn't all these things point to a defective-ish card?
  11. Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Have you tried a different monitor with the card you think
    might be faulty?
    It turns out there are stupid questions. And I don't know the answers!
    Over 50? Visit the Saga Zone - Social Networking for the Over 50's

For every action there is an equal and opposite - government program
  13. No Profile Picture

I've now determined that it's a driver incompatibility between the ATI catalyst drivers and my viewsonic monitor. I have tested every scenario of monitor and card combinations with a friend's peripherals. All ATI cards cause my Viewsonic monitor to flicker. All versions of the catalyst drivers do this. Are there other versions of the ATI drivers that don't involve this catalyst garbage? And I know that you can download the display driver only, but that doesn't solve the problem. Are there other third-party ATI drivers that aren't omega that anyone here has used? Thanks.
  15. Trapped on the forums...help
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

well i don't think a driver will help, according to this ATI has problems with some LCDs and Viewsonic has problems with ATI

i would just go out an buy a Nvidia Card
  17. No Profile Picture

well i built my system around ATI...getting an nvidia card would just be pointless. the video card is already being sold. now i have to buy a new monitor so i have to sell my current one too!....it's a freaking amazing monitor...stupid ATI...
  19. Providing fuel for space ships
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

So what are you doing with it ? Are you buying another ATI card and another monitor ?
    The No Ma'am commandments:

1.) It is O.K. to call hooters 'knockers' and sometimes snack trays
    2.) It is wrong to be French
    3.) It is O.K. to put all bad people in a giant meat grinder
    4.) Lawyers, see rule 3
    5.) It is O.K. to drive a gas guzzler if it helps you get babes
    6.) Everyone should car pool but me
    7.) Bring back the word 'stewardesses'
    8.) Synchronized swimming is not a sport
    9.) Mud wrestling is a sport
  21. No Profile Picture

i have no choice. i cashed in some bonds so i have a little extra money that i could use for it. this whole ordeal means i'm out close to $300. i'm pretty upset that two major computer peripheral companies can have products that are so incompatible with each other. i have to believe that other people have purchased viewsonic monitors and ATI cards together. those people are having these issues too and that's not right. there should be more rigorous driver testing on ATI's end of all this because it is the drivers that are at fault here. i also find it extremely hard to believe that there isn't a software fix for this. i paid good money for all this equipment to work properly and to have this happen is a huge slap in the face (not to mention a ravaging of my wallet)...
  23. No Profile Picture

Need help!

So, i too am having the same trouble as the stuff mentioned above. Give you a background, its a tad bit different, but similar issues.

I built my pc yesterday, had no issues with building it, started up perfectly, my Dell 20" LCD Had no issues.

Computer:

Mobo = Gigabyte Ex58-UD5 Intel x58/ICH10R/rev.1.0
    Socket 1366 PCI-e2.0 x16 ATX
    6 DDR3/8 HD Audio/1394
    2 GB LAN, 10 SATA, 12 USB 2.0

Processor = Intel Core i7 920. 2.67 GHz

RAM = 6 @ 2g = 12g DDR3 PC3-12800 1600 MHz

Video = XfX Radeon 4870 1GB onboard RAM (3 GB system memory towards graphics)

OS = Vista Ultimate 64 Bit

The flickering only happens when i am doing something. And its not rough flicker, its a slight jitter of the screen. It doesn't jitter when im watching a movie. It jitters/flickers when im doing anything else. When i first installed vista, and put in the drivers, for the first few hours there was no flickering, when i put my 2nd monitor on (both Dell 20" LCD's), it was fine for a bit, then i started WoW and thats when it started. Now it does it for every game, CSS, CoD4, Internet browsing, anything but watching a dvd. Ive changed which pci-e slot it was in, removed one monitor, changed monitors, move pc away from any electrical items, cleared my desk of all items in general, nothing seems to work, unless i am watching a move...lol. Im at a loss and ive been doing research for many many hours. Ive tried everything, monitors both work fine in my 2nd computer, so its not lights, or lamps, or anything with the monitors, the graphics card is fine, (no flickers during a Blue-ray DVD). There is something to do with the drivers and vista. Anyone have any ideas of some vista settings that might interfer with the graphics card?
  25. No Profile Picture

Well, after doing more research for about 3 more hours today, i found a site that gave me some glimmer of hope. They also made me realize why i REALLY hate ATI. So, it appears that the ATI drivers for the new graphics cards seem to be bad with different monitors, so you have to downgrade your card.

Catalyst Control Center
    All the way to the bottom click on ATI Overdrive
    Click the lock to turn on Overdrive
    Where is says GPU Clock: (leave this alone)
    Where is says Memory Clock: Default is like 950, you need to bring it down to 900.That removes all the flickers and gives you a glimmer of hope. Only downfall to this, you spent $300+ to get a graphics card that can be overclocked and because ATI sucks &#$@, you now have to downgrade your expensive graphics card. Your best opinion to repair this, is RETURN the card in question, get your money back, get the xfx GeForce GTX 285 or 295. Suggest going with 285 till you are 100% sure that the newest GTX 295 doesn't have any flaws. Hope this helps you.
  27. No Profile Picture

Same thing happened with me... best option is to back to the vendor and ask for the help... might be your monitor is not working properly and has some weak capacitors etc.
  29. No Profile Picture

I have a similar problem. My monitor is Acer V213HL. It is running at native resolution. When I connect it to a laptop, it works fine. When I connect it to my desktop, it flickers. I tried both the internal motherboard card and the external MSI card, both have flickering if you look at an obtuse angle at the monitor from above. But this doesn't happen when I connect it to my laptop. What could this be? Thanks.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo