1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Monitor goes dim then bright.

Hi,
    I have a viewsonic VX715 monitor that is about 3 years old, when I switch the computer on it will come on at normal brightness, then it will go dim (about half brightness) then come back to full brightness. This happens randomly, not all the time.

The only way to get it back to full brightness is switching the monitor off and switching the power off to the monitor, then starting again.

*I've checked the cables and all are screwed/pushed in tightly.
    *There are no kinks in the cables.
    *The monitor is set at 1280x1024 75hz default/native.
    *Graphics card is ATI Radeon HD 2600 pro.
    *Driver version is 7.8. I've tried updated drivers but they cause PC to crash.

My question is - does this sound like a monitor fault or fault somewhere else? (I don't have a second PC to test the monitor on.)
    Thanks for any help.
    EB
  3. No Profile Picture

Check the pins on the VGA cable and then try lowering the resolution (after you have checked the pins).

If lowering the resolutions reduces or solves the problem, the it is likely that the monitor is on its way out!!!

Also the PC crashing seems strange!!! The fact that the drivers aren't installing correctly could releate to this problem.

Have you tried booting in safe mode as well to see whether you can duplicate the problem.
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks; it turned out that the monitor was on its way out and was replaced under warranty by Viewsonic.
    EB

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo