1. Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

PCI Express x16 card x8 slot

Hi,

I am a little green as far as hardware is concerned, so forgive me if my this seem a little dim.

I would like a second graphics card installed in my machine.

On my motherboard i have a PCI Express x16 slot and a PCI Express x8 slot, currently the x16 slot is taken up with a GeForce 8600GTS and ideally i would like a second.

Looking around on forums, some people are saying that a x16 card will fit in the x8 slot, which seems a little odd to me because the x8 slot is about half the size of the x16.

Another option i have been researching is using an extender/adapter which seems to convert x8 slots to x16 and seem fairly cheap. Using an extender like this, am i going to run into problems physically fitting the card into my case - surely the card will sit higher than it usually would and therefore not fit properly where the backing plates are?

If anyone knows the best way (if it's even possible) to get a second graphics card in my machine i would be eternally greatful!

Thanks

Scott
    Scott Perham, BSc (hons), CCNA, MCPD
  3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

type in PCI Express X8 to X16 Extender onto google and its on a site called linITX, its from a pci 8x to a 16x so you will be able to fit another graphics card in you computer
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Not sure if you're still wondering about this, but if I recall, the 16x card will work in an 8x slot, but run at slower speeds. The gold pins I believe dictate the speed at which the card can run. Since it's utilizing less pins it will "slow down" to 8x speed (i.e., can't have as much throughput). This is a very simplified explanation but it should work. I know I put an 8x card in a 16x slot before.
  7. Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Thanks for the replies (albeit a little late )

I ended up finding a x8 card anyway... my motherboard woudn't fit a x16 card in the x8 slot because of a silly piece of plastic - i was told i could resolve this issue with the use of a good ol' hammer and chisel though
    Scott Perham, BSc (hons), CCNA, MCPD

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo