1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Talking Setting agp aperture size

Guys i just bought an MSI Starforce geforce fx 5200 128 mb ddr gcard.I have an intel d865gbf board.The bios is showing my agp aperture size to be 64 mb apparently bcos of my previous card settings...now shud i manually set the aperture size to 128 mb?PLs help.
  3. Just another guy
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Yeah, change it. Should be easy to do in bios.
    --Dave--

U2kgSG9jIExlZ2VyZSBTY2lzLCBOaW1pdW0gRXJ1ZGl0aW9uaXMgSGFiZXM=

My hobby: collecting US coins
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

a general rule of thumb is to set your AGP aperture size to half your system ram. your agp aperture is just how much of your system ram you want to let your graphics card use when it runs out of its own.

IMHO 64meg should be fine for a 128meg card, although i wouldnt bother going more than 128meg, and i think 256 is overkill, but that is just my opinion and really depends on what you do with your computer.

if you start getting errors saying you are running out of memory, then your aperture size is too big and you might want to cut it down a bit.

setting the aperture size below 32meg will disable AGP, or so i hear - but you wouldnt want it below 32meg anyway.
  7. No Profile Picture

Talking

Hey i thought tht u shud set the agp aperture to the exactly the amount of memory ur agp card has....wot do u say??
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

you can do, but the aperture size is really dependant on how much system ram you have. It is possible that you could have a 256meg graphics card and 128meg system ram, in which case you couldnt allocate a 256meg aperture. Im running a 128meg radeon 9800, 512meg RAM and have allocated a 64meg AGP aperture. If i were more into gaming i might allocate 128 to it but as i often have a lot of background tasks running and using my system ram i am reluctant to let my graphics card use any more than 64meg.
  11. No Profile Picture

Changing Aperture size

Thats al interesting and good but I do not know specifically how to change it. I read that might get my computer to read the right memory that is installed. I Have 2GB but only see 1.5GB

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo