1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Big size of captured video using tv tuner card

I have a TV tuner card with live TV capturing facility. The problem is when i capture live tv the size of video file is too big. when i capture live TV for two minutes, the video size is about 40 MB that is too much. Is there any software by which i can capture Live TV in compressed file format from TV tuner card(flv format preferred). I have a software named "flash mx" which compress video file into flv format but it can compress only recorded video and take lot of time to convert mpeg video into flv format. I want such software which can capture video in compressed format directly from TV tuner.

Thanks
  3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I have tried out VidCrop which works well.

Have a look.
  5. Trapped on the forums...help
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

you never mentioned your OS and your current methods on recording, so i will just assume its somewhat like my setup

Quicktime Pro is good, its $30 and you can compress anything that quicktime can read to other formats like mpg4 which has a very small file size, on linux there is ffmpeg which will convert to pretty much anything, but both those solutions will only compress when its done

for compressing as its recorded you need to look at your recording card, if your using MythTV it has options to set the compression algorithm and settings for recording on the fly, any similar program your using should have options to change it too. If you plan on doing this you need to look are your hardware two, my tuner card has a built in MPEG2 encoder, this means when i save as MPEG2 the entire encoding process is offloaded to the tuner, encoding it with any other algorithm would require sending the RAW data over the PCI bus (which only supports 133MB/s), and this may or may not pose a limit to the dimensions of the video you can record, you will also need a relatively fast computer to do it (probably 2GHz is the min for a simple algorithm, others may take a faster computer)

as for converting straight to flv, i really doubt you can do that, its not an algorithm thats normally used with tuner cards, i think the best you can do if you need flv is record to some high quality setting (maybe lower res if its for the web) and convert it later, you may be able to attach a script to your recording program to automate the process, if you just want small file sizes then see if you can record to MPG4, its much smaller then most of the other choices out there and is probably supported by you recording software (but its pretty CPU intensive)

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo