1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Exclamation Sound Card OK in Win98 but not in WinXP

I have dual boot system- Win98SE and WinXP on a Pentium II 300Mhz, 256Ram, 22GB HDD, M6TBC mobo (biostar).
    All is well under win98, installing kinds of softwares and driver for my cards has been a piece of cake. And then i tried booting in XP to configure its settings. Configurations were also fine except on my sound card driver. It says that my drivers may be corrupted or missing. so i tried BUYING a new sound card (crystal cs4624 chipset). First, i installed the driver on win98 and works just fine. then i went on XP hoping that XP will detect it...it did but once again...driver problem. " The driver may be missing of corrupted. Try reinstalling the driver." I tried uninstalling and reinstalled it many times but to no avail.So, again, i bought a new Sound card this time CMI 8738 sound card. it works fine on my Win98 but not in my WinXP. Pls. help. I even tried putting the sound card on different PCI Slots...still the same status. I really need help for this..
  3. Just another guy
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Have you gone to the manufacturer's site and gotten the latest xp drivers? The ones it ships with may not be new enough. Also, do you have onboard audio? You might have to disable it to get the soundcard working right.
    --Dave--

U2kgSG9jIExlZ2VyZSBTY2lzLCBOaW1pdW0gRXJ1ZGl0aW9uaXMgSGFiZXM=

My hobby: collecting US coins
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

thnks for the reply. ive been to the mobo site but no more tech support for PII/Slot 1 mobos. also, my mobo has no onboard audio. I think i have the same situation on the thread " WinXP will not start soundcard" . my wild guess or "need-to-dos" could be one of the following. 1)tweak the registry regarding drivers , 2)reinstall my winxp. 3)anything to tweak on the software side and on the hardware matter. note: it works on my 98 and on my friend's XP.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo