1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Angry Trying For Audio Again

I'm back except now my computer is virus free thanks to Porthos, but also still Audio free. I am going to purchase a CreativeLabs-Sound Blaster Audigy SE Sound Card. Do you guys think this will solve my problem? All my old information is in thread "GOING INSANE in the Brain" Thank You. Alex
  3. Type Cast Exception
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

SoundBlaster is pretty much the standard so it should work with all your games, etc. I just walked into central and picked up one oem (here) for $30 to replace the built in motherboard sound that was getting funky on one computer of mine. It shouldn't cost you more than $5 more for the cardboard and plastic if you get one retail. (tops $35).
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Unhappy Unsure

Thanks for responding Medialint. I live in a small town so my choices are very limited it's walmart or bestbuy. I found this sound card thru the net at bestbuy for thirty-five bucks. I'm a little confused when you refer to cardboard and plastic? Let me be a little more specific i'm a quadrplegic and my sister is taking time out of her day. So I need to be sure that i'm purchasing the right equipment. Fortunately I have a lift on my van and it's not that big a deal, but her time is limited. My sister and I have installed a dvd player in my system. I am hoping this will be just as simple. I saw a diagram and it looks like you just slide it into a free slot and connect the wires. Also it comes with a disc. Thanks Again Alex...
  7. Type Cast Exception

The only difference between OEM and retail is, when I bought it, it came in bubble wrap. No documentation, no box, just a sound card in bubble wrap. Whereas what you'll get at BestBuy is the same thing, with the extra features: cardboard and plastic ;-) Other than that no difference.
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks again Medialint feel a little more at ease about my purchase. I was looking at the specifications and all looks good. Except unsure of one thing I do not know if my computer has an extra 2.1 PCI slot. Any suggestions on how to obtain this information? Anyway I will still be attempting the intallation of a new PCI sound card and hopefully regaining sound. I totally want to say THANK YOU for the Forum and the people who give of thier valuable time and help dummies like me.
  11. Type Cast Exception

Open up your case. Look for an open one of these that isn't crowded by your video card fan

If you have such a thing open, you have it. To install these cards align them to the slot and push straight down, do not install one end at a time! That's about it.
    medialint.com

13. Type Cast Exception

p.s.

Place the soundcard as far away from the video card as possible. Why? Video cards almost always have a fan. Fans, always, induce noise. If your video is on the MB install on the south end (the slot closest to the edge of the MB you can get away with) to minimize interference, this rule of thumb will apply for most MBs.

Still, if your sound was working before your virus you might want to just get the latest drivers for your ac97 I'm not convinced it's broken ..
    medialint.com

15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Well it's back to the drawing board, my new sound card was a failure. I was so optimistic this morning everything was falling into place. I found the extra slot with no problem. The card slipped right into place. I disabled audio in the Bios ran the new software followed all instructions to the max. Only to see the same yellow circle with an exclamation in it and when I troubleshoot it still says ERROR no device detected driver may be corrupted code 39. TOTALLY BUMMED

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo