1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Video Card Upgrade Question 2

My post on March 14 asked about upgrade to a Radeon 9600 Pro. Card says I need 300W power I only have 250W. From experience will this card work on 250W or is there a serious chance of failure to work or damage to the card? Will a smaller power supply overwork the card and make overheating an issue? If so would adding an auxillary case fan which would increase power consumption be good or bad?
    I can't find any cards that would be a significant upgrade from my Radeon 8500LE that are recommended at 250W.
  3. Just another guy
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Originally Posted by Dave S
    My post on March 14 asked about upgrade to a Radeon 9600 Pro. Card says I need 300W power I only have 250W. From experience will this card work on 250W or is there a serious chance of failure to work or damage to the card? Will a smaller power supply overwork the card and make overheating an issue? If so would adding an auxillary case fan which would increase power consumption be good or bad?
    I can't find any cards that would be a significant upgrade from my Radeon 8500LE that are recommended at 250W.
    An inadequate power supply could likely result in system instability and crashing. Its even possible that overtaxing the psu too much could fry the psu, which could take other hardware with it. 250 just isn't enough anymore, its time for an upgrade. A decent 400w psu isn't too expensive, and will be well worth it.
    --Dave--

U2kgSG9jIExlZ2VyZSBTY2lzLCBOaW1pdW0gRXJ1ZGl0aW9uaXMgSGFiZXM=

My hobby: collecting US coins

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo