1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question newbe needs help... please

I have a GF-FX5600 128MB//tv-out/dvi,

Is it possible for me to have dual screen, so working on 2 screens? If so... how can i do this. I've been looking for some tutorials but ia cant find anything... hope somebody can help.

Floris
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Does your video card support dual monitors? I don't think there is much in the way of tutorial. You need the right hardware.
  5. No Profile Picture

dvi/tv-out

Thanks for your reply,

somebody told me that with a dvi/tv-out you could have 2 monitors, but he wasn't sure and me neither because it is a different sort of plug.

floris
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I think you can have a CRT (or TV) monitor and a LCD monitor at the same time but they're both going to have the same output on them which doesn't do you much good.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

if you have dvi then you likely have a standard vga plug too. I have a radeon 9800 graphic card so there may be some differences but here is how it works with mine.

On the back of the graphics card there are 3 different connections dvi, vga and tv out. The dvi and vga slots look similar but have different plugs, the tv-out is a small round slot. I have an lcd monitor as my primary monitor plugged into the dvi plug and a CRT as my secondary plugged into the vga slot. If you have 2 CRTs then you can get adapters that make your dvi slot a vga slot. - so basically just plug the 2 monitors in.

in your system settings go to monitors and choose your primary monitor and activate the secondary monitor. the secondary monitor will probably be set by default to just display exactly what is on yor primary monitor, you will probably want to choose the extend my desktop to this monitor option, then you have two independant screens.

You probably wouldnt want to use the tv-out as i dont think most computer monitors have an input for this as it is designed for input to a tv. If you do want to do this though just follow the same process as mentioned above but plug in the tv-out cable. (i think it is recommended to plug in and remove the tvout cable with the power off). the reason i say you probably wont want to use a tv is becasue they run at very low resolution and it is kind of hard to read any text. computer monitors run at a very high resolution so text can be easily read.

hope this helps

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo