1. !Ruff Ryder!
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Sound card to Sound System...

Yo, I wanted to buy a computer or laptop for my room, one of the main reasons was to stop "wasting" cd's and just plugging my sound system to my computer's sound card. I have already tried this with this special type of cable that sort of looked like:
    Code:

__________ Left stereo
    Sound Card -|
                 |_________ Right stereo
    I know it's not the best drawing but I at least hope you people can understand it! When I did this the sound was a bit off and the bass was way too high.. the whole equalizer things were screwed up I am wondering if there are better cables to do this or just a sound card that is made for that...
  3. Just another guy
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Not sure I get what you're doing. Are you trying to output sound from your computer to your stereo (reciever)? Or are you just trying to get stereo output from the computer (2.1 sound)?
    --Dave--

U2kgSG9jIExlZ2VyZSBTY2lzLCBOaW1pdW0gRXJ1ZGl0aW9uaXMgSGFiZXM=

My hobby: collecting US coins
  5. !Ruff Ryder!

Well... I don't see much of a differemce between the 2... lol, but I'd say the fisrt one. I want to listen to the music with speakers that sound better than most computer speakers. Especially that I have a music-trained ear I can really tell the difference in the tones and it kinda pisses me off.

And to describe the wire more... The part that went to the sound card was like a regular sized headphone jack plug. The two other ones, were the type that connected to the "Auxillary" port in an amplifier.

What I wanted to know was if it was the intergrated sound card that has crappy output, my cable that was internally damaged (it's older that I am... > 15 lol), or if I have to adjust some equalizer settings and the computer volume a lot to suit such output.

Thanks
  7. Just another guy
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Possibly all of the above. A sound card will definitely give you better quality than onboard sound. Many don't notice or care, but to a trained ear (such as yourself), there would be a difference.
    Better cable also leads to better sound, so that could contribute too.
    Fine tuning with an equalizer would also help.
    I'd probably try the equalizer and cable first, since they are cheapest.
    --Dave--

U2kgSG9jIExlZ2VyZSBTY2lzLCBOaW1pdW0gRXJ1ZGl0aW9uaXMgSGFiZXM=

My hobby: collecting US coins
  9. !Ruff Ryder!

Thanks... will do!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo