Thread: No Audio Device

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

No Audio Device

i just bought a used pc a dell dimension 5100c. i had to restalled windows xp. now i have no sound from my computer. i clicked the sound card and audio devices in the control panel and it says "No audio devices". all the volume controller is grey out and i cant adjust anythings.. the sound card is on the mother board.

from the device manager in sound, video, game controller, it listed this:

audio codecs
    legacy audio drivers
    legacy video capture devices
    media control devices
    video codecs

all the devices are work properly by what is says, but i think my audio device is missing..

i have updated windows and all the updates are good to go.
    i have went to this 1 website called driver detect and that has not helped me out at all..

the sound card worked before i had to reformate and reinstall windows xp.. i have done everything i know and im stuck please help..thank you.
  3. Providing fuel for space ships
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Hi saltydogshep and welcome to Dev Shed.

It could be that your on-board sound has been disabled in the BIOS - check in there firstly and see what it is set as.
    The No Ma'am commandments:

1.) It is O.K. to call hooters 'knockers' and sometimes snack trays
    2.) It is wrong to be French
    3.) It is O.K. to put all bad people in a giant meat grinder
    4.) Lawyers, see rule 3
    5.) It is O.K. to drive a gas guzzler if it helps you get babes
    6.) Everyone should car pool but me
    7.) Bring back the word 'stewardesses'
    8.) Synchronized swimming is not a sport
    9.) Mud wrestling is a sport
  5. Just another guy
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

You likely need to reinstall the audio drivers. You may have gotten a driver cd when you bought the laptop, or you can download them from Dell .
    --Dave--

U2kgSG9jIExlZ2VyZSBTY2lzLCBOaW1pdW0gRXJ1ZGl0aW9uaXMgSGFiZXM=

My hobby: collecting US coins
  7. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

same problem

I have the same problem with my older Dell dimension 5100C. I know this thread is 2 years old but how did you fix your audio device. I tried reinstalling it with the original disc and it said it was there and working. The previous thread said to check the on-board sound in the BIOS..how do you do this? Hope you can help me. Thanks

Originally Posted by saltydogshep
    i just bought a used pc a dell dimension 5100c. i had to restalled windows xp. now i have no sound from my computer. i clicked the sound card and audio devices in the control panel and it says "No audio devices". all the volume controller is grey out and i cant adjust anythings.. the sound card is on the mother board.

from the device manager in sound, video, game controller, it listed this:

audio codecs
    legacy audio drivers
    legacy video capture devices
    media control devices
    video codecs

all the devices are work properly by what is says, but i think my audio device is missing..

i have updated windows and all the updates are good to go.
    i have went to this 1 website called driver detect and that has not helped me out at all..

the sound card worked before i had to reformate and reinstall windows xp.. i have done everything i know and im stuck please help..thank you.
  9. Type Cast Exception
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Press the magic key on boot up to get to the BIOS setup. Depending on the computer it might be a number of keys: F8, INS, DEL or some other key. It might be F2 on your computer. Your computer will usually tell you "press [key] to enter setup" as you boot. Look for it quick you usually only have a few seconds for windows boot takes over.
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo