1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question Touch Screen Hardware

Hi there,

I need to get a touch screen application that will interface a database, and that will allow me to show images, video clips and audio.

I have never done anything with this media before so i dont know where to start to be honest.

I dont know what type of database would lend itself to touch screen. What is the frontend of a touchscreen application developed with and is there code need to develop it? Is there software that can be used to develop it?

I know that the hardware needs to be calibrated to sort out where on the screen you have to touch to scroll through lists, touch to select in menus etc.

What should i be looking for with the hardware? What are the pros and cons with the hardware.?
    Originally Posted by TheJim01
    Firefox is actually a derivation of the Mozilla browser, which was launched by Netscape as an Open Source version of their Navigator browser. So FF and Netscape are like distant cousins, and IE is the weird guy down the street.
  3. Recovering Intellectual
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by Cork Skate
    Hi there,

I need to get a touch screen application that will interface a database, and that will allow me to show images, video clips and audio.

I have never done anything with this media before so i dont know where to start to be honest.

I dont know what type of database would lend itself to touch screen. What is the frontend of a touchscreen application developed with and is there code need to develop it? Is there software that can be used to develop it?

I know that the hardware needs to be calibrated to sort out where on the screen you have to touch to scroll through lists, touch to select in menus etc.

What should i be looking for with the hardware? What are the pros and cons with the hardware.?
    regarding the touchscreen application itself, im developing one right now as we speak .. using Python's wx.Python module and its working VERY nicely, it runs fullscreen in kiosk mode so there is no start button bar or anything .. all you see is the application.

With wxPython's sizers its very easy to create the buttons and place the layout (10 key layouts are VERY simple to do). As far as I know .. touchscreens themselves DO NOT have to be configured for their functionality. When the user touches the screen, the touch itself is interpreted as a mouse button press .. therefore it directly interfaces to the OS and your application will respond accordingly.

Also its cross platform .. so if you were to run it on a windows box or linux .. wouldnt matter .. and with the database .. anything is possible, you just have to sort out the n-tier details .. is it server-client? client only?
    Bugs that go away by themselves come back by themselves
    Beware - your loyalty will not be rewarded

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo