1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

My new AMD desktop and gaming.

Hey,

I bought a new Gateway desktop the other month and I've been having problems with it and gaming. I'm mainly playing World of Warcraft, but I want to expand to games with more intense graphics. My desktop is: link to bestbuy or if they take it down before you visit the model number is: LX6200-01, or the full name is Gateway - TV Desktop with AMD Phenom™ X4 9500 Quad-Core Processor.
    The computer is completely stock, I haven't bought anything or changed anything. The only difference I made when I bought the package deal was buying a 22" HD monitor. It's 1680x1050, vga, hdmi and component inputs, etc.
    Basically, I'm sitting at 10+ FPS constantly and it's bothering me. There are times when I'm up to 30, but those are far and few between. I've updated my drivers, all of them and nothing changed, I think it even got worse, but that could just be my pessimism on this never working for me >.<
    I also get an ATI message every time I restart my message that states something about the ATI Control Center not being compatible with my drivers or something of that nature, if that's something that needs to be directly quoted I can get that for the next post after restarting.
    I even went as far as to buy a video card: bestbuy link aka: PNY - NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT 1GB GDDR3 PCI Express Graphics Card and after updated drivers using VGA, nothing changed and then I used HDMI and nothing really changed.
    I do have an amazing display and graphics are up to my expectations, but I get disappointed with the FPS problem and look to everyone here at DevShed to try and help me out. =)

Thanks for your help in advance! Please ask for any more information if possible, I'd be more than happy to post it.

[edit]: I ended up uninstalling the video card and returning it, so its back to stock and I'm using on-board video through VGA because HDMI doesnt seem to improve fps...
  3. Type Cast Exception
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

If I'm not mistaken WoW is a MMORPG which means your performance largely relies on your internet connection. I think by scrutinizing your video card you are overlooking perhaps the real issue here. Please explain your network in the space below:
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  5. No Profile Picture

Ah, I forgot about that. I'm using my computer through my household wireless network. It runs through a private network protected by WEP... we have a broadband connection and my latency is rarely above 150ms, most of the time at ~60ms. Hope that helps the question.

[edit]: I also have a dual core 1.4 notebook that I used to travel to my friends LAN center and play WoW there. The notebook is an inferior computer and i have the same performance at home that i did at my friends LAN center... to be more specific, I'm wireless at home and wired at the LAN center with the same outcome, on my notebook.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Cuzzi, I`m not too knowlegable on this subject, but I will give my 2 cents worth.
    In general, onboard graphics arent the greatest. That video card you bought should have rocked the house. Defenatly should have gotten MUCH better results than your onboard graphics.
    As for the drivers not being compatable, there are a few different ones to try out. Maybe you didnt find them all?
    Your connection shouldnt have anything to do with framerate. Did the pc detect the new video card you installed?
    I get over 100 frames per second playing COD4 and I`m only using a dual core cpu running at 2.2 Mhz. Never played WoW to see what my framerates would be on that game.
    Seems like you need to find a compatable driver for now. But for more intense games graphically, you will need something other than onboard graphics eventually.
  9. No Profile Picture

thank you, ill look into driver compatibility for the on board at the moment and depending on what i learn im going to go out and buy the video card again because ive picked up Crysis and the expansion which ive wanted to try out and cs, unreal are old time favorites i dont mind playing when im bored. thanks for the help though, i just wanted to make sure there wasnt something that i was overlooking or something that i just didnt know about doing >.>

ill check back with what comes of the matter for anyone interested in reading. =)

thanks again

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo