1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Alter/Update 1 table based on another

Well, I wish to update values on 1 table. It currently holds usernames as the value. I wish to make it alter the username into the userID that matches that username from another table. Table I wish to alter is named Projects and other table that holds logins w/ userID is userPass. How would I pull this off?
    He who knows not and knows not he knows not: he is a fool - shun him. He who knows not and knows he knows not: he is simple - teach him. He who knows and knows not he knows: he is asleep - wake him. He who knows and knows he knows: he is wise - follow him
  3. SQL Consultant
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

alter the projects table to add the userid column

then run a joined update to the userpass table matching on username, and update the projects userids

then -- after you resolve any that weren't matched -- alter the projects table and drop the username
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Very nicely thought. Never crossed my mind to add/remove a column to pull this off. ^_^
    He who knows not and knows not he knows not: he is a fool - shun him. He who knows not and knows he knows not: he is simple - teach him. He who knows and knows not he knows: he is asleep - wake him. He who knows and knows he knows: he is wise - follow him

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo