1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Altering an existing database to use foreign keys

I inherited a faulty database design for a company's CRM web application that is using mysql. I want to add a foreign key to link the customer_interactions and employees tables so the customer_interactions.created_by is linked to the employees.employee_id field. the problem is that there are some values in the customer interactions table that aren't in the employees table (deleted ex-employees, among other reasons) and mysql keeps giving me an error when I try to add it.

Something I think would work (in my mind) is to not require them to always match/allow nulls, but I'm not sure if that's possible or advisable.

Could someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks
  3. SQL Consultant
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

allowing null in a foreign key is a good solution, except that for non-existent employees, you would have to lose the old (no longer valid) number
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by r937
    allowing null in a foreign key is a good solution, except that for non-existent employees, you would have to lose the old (no longer valid) number
    What do you mean by lose the old number?

Also, I forgot to mention that the employee_id in the employees table is the primary key, so it doesn't allow nulls. I can make the created_by either allow or not allow nulls, but if I make them both not null, doesn't the foreign key not allow nulls?
  7. SQL Consultant
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Originally Posted by jhughes
    What do you mean by lose the old number?
    in order for the customer_interactions table to have a foreign key to the employees table, every value of employee id in the customer_interactions table must exist in the employees table

therefore, for those values of the employee id in the customer_interactions table that do not exist in the employees table, you have to obliterate them

making them NULL is the best way
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo