1. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Category & Post ( show category only once in loop? )

Hi ! I'm trying to work on a query with fetches a category for a user.. and shows the questions that fall under that category.

Problem is my Sql get's the name every time..
    I just want

CATEGORY NAME
    ----------------
    post 1
    post 2

(thanks! )

3. --
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Hi,

sorry, but I don't understand a word. In your description, you talk about questions and categories. In your query, you have projects and tasks. What's the relation?

And if you don't want projects.name(?) to show up, um, why do you select it then?
  5. SQL Consultant
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

this requirement (to show a column value only once for multiple occurrences of a related column value) should be handled by your application program, not with sql
    r937.com | rudy.ca
    please visit Simply SQL and buy my book
  7. Contributing User

Originally Posted by r937
    this requirement (to show a column value only once for multiple occurrences of a related column value) should be handled by your application program, not with sql
    Thanks for the respons. I'm using PDO to fetch everything but how do you fetch the name only once.. and outside the loop.?

Now it outputs all descriptions of the tasks.. but the tasks are related to a project but i don't know how to output the project name once. thanks!

Code:
    $sth = $db->prepare('SELECT projects.name, tasks.description FROM tasks INNER JOIN projects ON projects.id = tasks.project_id INNER JOIN users ON users.project_id = projects.id WHERE users.id = :id'); $sth->execute(array('id' => $_SESSION['userid']));  while($project = $sth->fetch()){ 	echo $project['description']; }
  9. --

Like r937 already said, this is a matter of the application (the PHP code in your case).

What you want is two separate queries: First, fetch the project names and IDs. Loop over them, and for each project, display the name and fetch the corresponding tasks using the ID.
  11. Contributing User

Originally Posted by Jacques1
    Like r937 already said, this is a matter of the application (the PHP code in your case).

What you want is two separate queries: First, fetch the project names and IDs. Loop over them, and for each project, display the name and fetch the corresponding tasks using the ID.
    Allright so 2 queries? I'll try that! thanks..
  13. SQL Consultant

no, no, no, no, NO

sorry, but a query inside a loop is an insidiously inefficient solution

one query, sorted results, loop over these results and check for current/previous control values

basic, elementary programming

i'd even write the code, but i don't do php
    r937.com | rudy.ca
  15. --

Originally Posted by r937
    no, no, no, no, NO
    Are you alright?

Have you even looked at his example? Do you know the overall performance of PHP? That user he selected has 2 (in words: two) projects. Maybe others have 10. While that's the case, it might be a bit, um, early to do "optimizations".

But in the last thread, you considered stuffing the first name and some assignment ID into the same column to save one query, so I understand where you're coming from.
    Last edited by Jacques1; January 25th, 2013 at 12:19 AM.
  17. SQL Consultant

But in the last thread, you considered stuffing the first name and some assignment ID into the same column to save one query, so I understand where you're coming from.
    in that thread you referenced, i "considered" it only long enough to reject it

please stop being so annoyingly adversarial

du hast jetzt zum zweiten mal eine ohrfeige verdient

edit: forgot to add smiley, sorry
    Last edited by r937; January 25th, 2013 at 07:33 AM.
    r937.com | rudy.ca

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo