1. A Change of Season
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

What changed in SQL since 2008. Rudy's first edition of SimplySql?

As technology is moving forward with the speed of light, I wonder about the query writting changes in SQL within past 5 years.

I believe Rudy's SimplySql is gonna be up to date for quite sometime.

But I am also curious to know if there are anythings I should consider as I read it.

For exmple. YES. Its been 5 years since the first edition, its fair to see there are better ways of writting some specific queries.

Are there any comments?

Thank you
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

The book is probably still fairly up to date. For a variety of reasons, MySQL is changing at a significantly slower pace than PHP. Additionally, a lot of the changes to MySQL are "under the hood", and not actually things that will impact your queries.

The only new features in 5.6 that I've come across so far are greatly improved support for spatial queries.

PHP was stagnant for a while because they were working on PHP 6. Then that PHP 6 was cancelled, and all of the features that had already been built up for it were instead put into 5.3, 5.4 and 5.5. So as a result, all three of those releases came / are coming in quick succession, and all of them have significant new features. This makes PHP resources get outdated very quickly, but that's a lot less true of MySQL.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo