1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

New in database, please help

Hello, semestral break has started and i would like to spend the time for learning database.

what programming language should i use in making its user interface? i heard that i should use HTML or PHP for it if its online based. but what if i wanted an offline based?

what are things needed to know to create a database?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

For languages you can use whatever you want, it really doesn't matter because al you will be doing in your application is send queries to the database and process the returned data.

What you need to know about databases is mainly how to design them. Look for tutorials that include the first three forms of "normalisation". That will prevent you from making the rookie mistakes that take time to solve.
    Apart from that you just need to know the query syntax which is documented in the manual, and the datatypes, also documented in the manual.

You're probably tempted to start with MySQL because people say it's easy to use. The truth is that MYSQL is full of big mistakes that you don't notice until you run into them and then it's too late.
    Look for PostgreSQL, that is more strict so you will get more errors when you do things wrong, but really that's exactly what you want; know that it's wrong before you do it.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Vinny42
    For languages you can use whatever you want, it really doesn't matter because al you will be doing in your application is send queries to the database and process the returned data.

What you need to know about databases is mainly how to design them. Look for tutorials that include the first three forms of "normalisation". That will prevent you from making the rookie mistakes that take time to solve.
    Apart from that you just need to know the query syntax which is documented in the manual, and the datatypes, also documented in the manual.

You're probably tempted to start with MySQL because people say it's easy to use. The truth is that MYSQL is full of big mistakes that you don't notice until you run into them and then it's too late.
    Look for PostgreSQL, that is more strict so you will get more errors when you do things wrong, but really that's exactly what you want; know that it's wrong before you do it.
    any difference in MySQL and PostgreSQL syntax? our school uses MySQL so i was trying to make a learning about it in order for me to have an idea before taking the database course this coming next semester

thank you
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

any difference in MySQL and PostgreSQL syntax? our school uses MySQL so i was trying to make a learning about it in order for me to have an idea before taking the database course this coming next semester
    Every database has his own dialect of SQL, so yes there are differences. But MySQL is arguably the worst of the open source databases, allowing you to do silly things like divide by zero, and select non-aggregates in an aggregate query (asking "the name" of a group of people with red hair, which is of course impossible)

It's a bit like Java vs PHP, PHP is probably more popular and easier to learn but Java teaches you not to do things that can get you into serieous problems in PHP.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo