1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Smile Database for a social networking site?

I want to make a social networking application for my college. The maximum number of users is around 10,000. The users will be posting their status,photos. THere will be likes and comments and all features will are there in social networking apps.

I am thinking to use MySql as the database. My Question is Will Mysql will be able to manage such large data? Also if the number of concurrent users increases will the server be able to manage the load.? Is MySql alone sufficient or should i integrate it with some other technology like Hadoop or memcache?

Also where should i host my database.? will shared server be able to do the job and what should be cpu and memory i would be needing? Any help is appreciated
  3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

From what I have dealt with in mySQL, it will hold it without any problems. The question about shared or not is another issue. Shared servers might be able to hold that without any problems, but then again, a lot of that depends on who you go with as far as their shared server is, as well as how many people will be accessing your site at one time. With an application like this...to be safe, go dedicated server.

My two cents on the last part.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Assuming you mean 10k registered users (as opposed to 10k active or 10k concurrent users), then MySQL will easily be able to handle that. 10k registered users is not actually that big of a site (for example, these forums have 460k registered users and use MySQL as a back-end).

MySQL by itself would be enough. Using memcache could be helpful. There is no reason to use Hadoop.

A share server would be able to handle a site with 10k registered users.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo