1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Hi there. I use php3 and mysql. I've got a table filled with registered users. Their passwords are encrypted using the PASSWORD('') function of mysql. But now I want an option: "I forgot my password, please send me my password". Can I decrypt the passwords???

Please help!

Thanks in advance,

Marc
  3. No Profile Picture
    Apprentice Deity
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

Niagara Falls (On the wrong side of the gorge)
    No. The mysql password() function does not have a complementary decrypt function. This is the same function used to encrypt passwords in the mysql permissions table so it wouldn't be a good idea to make a decryption function available

If you need to store encrypted passwords then use the php encrypt and decrypt functions. (I think encrypt is right, but check decrypt first to see what is it's complement).
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rod k:
    If you need to store encrypted passwords then use the php encrypt and decrypt functions. (I think encrypt is right, but check decrypt first to see what is it's complement). [/quote]

Nope. You are thinking of Encode() and Decode () which are used for stream encryption.
    There is no reverse for encrypt(). You would need a password cracker or some such thing.
    (If such functionality is required, most people just store both the crypted and un-crypted forms in their database, and use whichever one they need).

------------------
    -Erik