1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Default value for DATETIME field

Hello all,

I am trying to install a WordPress blog and the install script is failing as several of the tables contain a declaration like:

Code:
    my_field datetime NOT NULL default '0000-00-00 00:00:00'
    I am getting the message "Invalid default value for 'my_field'".

Is there is a setting I can change to allow for this declaration, bad as it may be?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

The supported range for a datetime column is '1000-01-01 00:00:00' to '9999-12-31 23:59:59'.

So you should set your default to `1000-01-01 00:00:00` and it should work for you.

For more details on the datetime type, please see the following section in the mysql manual:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/datetime.html
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Yes but if you insert an invalid datetime value into a datetime field, the value is implicitly set to '0000-00-00 00:00:00' unless you have strict mode on. I think that is what the people at WordPress are trying to accomplish. Can you set this as a default?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Yes, you can change the SQL MODE and it will allow this.

If you have TRADITIONAL enabled, then you'll get the warning/error as you have it. However, if you had slightly less restrictions, then this would be allowable.

For instance, if you had the following sql_modes set (which provides some checking/constraints), then it will work:

STRICT_TRANS_TABLES,NO_AUTO_CREATE_USER,NO_ENGINE_SUBSTITUTION

Note there is also a ALLOW_INVALID_DATES sql mode which you can combine with strict modes to allow these zeros in the dates. However, I was unable to get this to work with only it and TRADITIONAL, but it should work with other strict modes enabled (at least accoding to the manual).

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/...-sql-mode.html

Hope this helps.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo