1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Unhappy Does anyone know exactly how to transfer table from a databese to another?

Hi there.

I recently purchased this web hosting service from Godaddy.
    And I have been transferring website files from previous server to this godaddy's server.

I'm now mostly done with transferring these files except for these tables from this database in the previous server.

Does anyone know how to do it?

This previous server is actually a school server and I have been using phpMyAdmin to edit the database.

What I did so far is:
    In that application, there is an option "Export" and I clicked on it. After clicking through the option, there was an option "Save as file" and I checked that option, too, and hit "Go". These procedure created files with extension of ".sql". I thought I was doing it right. (Is it right?)

I didn't know what to do after that.
    And I was talking to Godaddy's customer support on a phone. First time I called them up, this representative told me to create a new database in Godaddy's server so that I can import the tables into that new database.

The second representative told me that I can just ftp the tables into the root directly of my domain.
    But he also told me I have to restore the file using
    "Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Management Studio Express" so the files can be accessible on the new server or something like that.

They gave me necessary information like username and password along with this random code that they say I will have to use for something along the way.
    But one representative also told me that I need to know what I'm doing or I have to hire someone to do the job because I'm the one that is doing the job, and they can't just tell me all the process of transferring tables. They can only give me some info.
    But I don't have a money to hire anyone.

There also might have been some communication issues in between me and the representatives because English isn't my first tongue. So I'm not even sure if the both of them were clear about exactly what I was trying to do, and that maybe why those two representatives had different solutions.

But anyway, I still don't even know the basic process of how to transfer tables from a databese in a server to a different server.

Can anyone help me with this issue, please??
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

What the second representative said makes no sense. What the first representative said makes sense. You need to use Godaddy's control panel to create a MySQL database. Most shared web hosts will provide you with access to PhpMyAdmin; GoDaddy does too I think. Once the database is created, if you access it using PhpMyAdmin you'll be able to import the .sql file provided it's not too big.

The representative is right about this being beyond the scope of what pretty much any web host tech support will do for you.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Thanks!

Hi thank you very much for your advice.

Your advice was very helpful and I figured out how.

I was totally doing wrong thing with Godaddy's account.
    That was actually easy. I just created MySQL account and, yeah, there is MyAdmin for that database on Godaddy.
    I could just imported it from there.

Again, thank you.

Originally Posted by E-Oreo
    What the second representative said makes no sense. What the first representative said makes sense. You need to use Godaddy's control panel to create a MySQL database. Most shared web hosts will provide you with access to PhpMyAdmin; GoDaddy does too I think. Once the database is created, if you access it using PhpMyAdmin you'll be able to import the .sql file provided it's not too big.

The representative is right about this being beyond the scope of what pretty much any web host tech support will do for you.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo