1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I have a mySQL database (version 3.22.32) that holds news articles. I've built a browser-based admin interface to add, edit and delete articles in this database. I've used the database and admin on multiple sites with no problems, until now. In my latest implementation of this "app," I can insert, update and delete articles of any size via telnet. Through my admin tool, I can insert, update and delete very short articles. However, I cannot insert or update (yet, I can delete) long articles via the admin tool. (When I say long, I only mean a couple-few paragraphs, not pages and pages of text.) The field is mediumtext, so that isn't the problem. On a different staging server, the admin tool works fine on any size article, so it's not my code. Originally, I thought that my ISP's firewall was blocking a certain size http send, but they've instructed me that the server my database is on is not behind a firewall. So, my question is, does mySQL have some way to limit an http send above a certain size? Basically, is it mySQL that could be causing this problem, or is it more likely something else? What else could be going on here? I'm really at a loss, and am desperately seeking advice from anyone that has even the smallest bit of input they can offer. Thanks in advance.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I had a similar problem but I found out it was more of a HTML problem. I was using a form to input my data and HTML requires that you specify how large an input type should be or else it defaults to a certain value(browser dependent). I then had to specify that I was using a textbox area specifying the column width and height.

In your situation, I am not too sure if this is the problem but MySQL has to allocate maximum area for any type of data(logically) in some form of vector form. The only other reason is you have exceeded these vector capacity(I doubt this).
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

if you are using a form here, make sure you're using method="post" and not "get".