1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Cannot import .SQL file - "Error in query"

I am running MySQL on an Apple server OS X 10.6. I am trying to import a .SQL export file that was generated by an application called MailSteward Pro. The .SQL file is an email database about 88 Gigs in size. When I do the import operation in SQLPro, I see a progress bar that goes almost all the way to the end (takes hours, shows no problems), and then suddenly shows a message that says

[ERROR in query 650009] You have an error in your SQL syntax: check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near "\\d\">+B$?\"+vq+q6]\\V<JY='2gFTTsD\"/~7'sss*k?|?|n's47)>ss<:t/qs4>{]:>' at line 1

what in the world does this mean and how do I figure out why I can't import my data? It goes most of the way to the end but after this error, the database doesn't seem to be there at all (SQLPro shows only 4 Gigs in the database, and MailStewardPro client sees 0 messages in the database). What's my next step - how do I debug this and import as much as possible of this database?

thank you in advance!!

Mike
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I can think of three possibilities off the top of my head:

1) SQLPro is not capable of importing a SQL dump that is 88GB in size. 4GB is approximately the maximum size representable by an unsigned 32-bit integer file pointer. You could try importing the dump using the command line MySQL client instead.

2) MailStewardPro is not compatible with the version of MySQL that you have on your server. You should make sure the versions are the same and update the server to match the old MailStewardPro database if they differ.

3) MailStewardPro has a bug in it that causes an invalid SQL export to be generated.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

> 1) SQLPro is not capable of importing a SQL dump that is 88GB in size. 4GB is approximately the maximum size representable by an unsigned 32-bit integer file pointer.

I now see that it did in fact restore quite a bit of it - about 75%, so way more than 4 Gb.

> You could try importing the dump using the command line MySQL client instead.

could you give me the commands - how do I do it with the command line? And is there any way to do this so that it would not add duplicate records (only import the part of the dump that failed last time)?

> 3) MailStewardPro has a bug in it that causes an invalid SQL export to be generated.

this is possible. Any idea how the SQL export file could be checked for validity, or how to ask Sequel Pro to just ignore bad records and move past (so that perhaps I can get most of the data, except whatever records are munged)?

thank you,

Mike

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo