1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

An issue with group_concat selecting multiple rows.

I have data in a table that looks like so:

Code:
    +----+-------------+------------+----------+
    | id | name        | date       | status   |
    |  1 | James Grew  | 2013-03-12 | Approved |
    |  2 | James Dew   | 2013-03-12 | Approved |
    |  3 | James Moo   | 2013-03-12 | Approved |
    |  4 | James Beard | 2013-03-12 | Pending  |
    |  5 | James Beer  | 2013-03-12 | Pending  |
    |  6 | James Sneer | 2013-03-12 | Pending  |
    |  7 | James Fear  | 2013-03-12 | Pending  |
    What I am trying to accomplish is a query that will do the following: Select * from the table where status is approved, AND if there are any rows with a status of Pending whose date matches the approved, add those to the end. Here's my query and what it returns:

Code:
    mysql> select *, group_concat( (case when status = 'Pending' then name end) separator ';') as Pending from requests group by `date`;
    +----+------------+------------+----------+-----------------------------------------------+
    | id | name       | date       | status   | Pending                                       |
    +----+------------+------------+----------+-----------------------------------------------+
    |  1 | James Grew | 2013-03-12 | Approved | James Beard;James Beer;James Sneer;James Fear |
    The problem? It doesn't return all approved... I'm trying to get this:

Code:
    | id | name       | date       | status   | Pending                                       |
    |  1 | James Grew | 2013-03-12 | Approved | James Beard;James Beer;James Sneer;James Fear |
    |  2 | James Dew  | 2013-03-12 | Approved | James Beard;James Beer;James Sneer;James Fear |
    |  3 | James Moo  | 2013-03-12 | Approved | James Beard;James Beer;James Sneer;James Fear |
    In other words, return ALL approved as their own separate row AND if there are rows with a status of Pending whose date matches that of the approved, add those as a semicolon delmited column at the end (if no pending, then column is empty).

Any help in how to accomplish this is greatly appreciated.

Thank You!
  3. Transforming Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Try with a JOIN. On the left is the table with the status=Approved rows, on the right is the table again but with the status=Pending rows with the same date.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo