1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Mysql date format

Hi all...

i have a comment script on my website and when a user posts a comment the date shows example Posted :30 september 2012, my date format is %d %b %y...how can i change this to show
    Posted : 6 Days ago....

Kind regards

Ronan
  3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

i've done something similar before. You dump the date value into php and let your script calculate the difference. i don't guarantee the syntax is perfect since it's just off the top of my head from memory, but something along the lines of this should work :

*** somewhere up here you will have your mySQL recordset. "thePostDate" is assumed to be a standard date/time format***
    <?php

$value1 = htmlentities($row_DatabaseRecord['thePostDate']; //gets the date from the database record

$today = time(); // standard function to get today's date

$days_since = ceil(abs($today - $value1) / 86400); // calculates the amount of days since the post, and rounds it to the nearest day

$outputString = "It has been ".$days_since." days since the post."; // creates the report string

echo $outputString;

?>

i highly doubt that's perfect code but all the elements are there. a couple of tweaks and it should work for you.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo