1. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

MySQL password problems NOT root

Hi,

Im setting up a Linux server with MySQL running under mandrake 9.2. I need to be able to change the username and password for one of the databases because I appear to have forgotten it (although I'm positive the password im using is the one i set it up with :s)

I set the like this... "grant all privilges on beerfest.* to beerfest@localhost identified by beerFEST2004;"

It doesn't let me access or drop the table (ideally I'd like to just drop the whole db and start again, but when I reinstall MySQL the db and password are still there). I'm not a Linux person and am not confident with it. I want to manually delete the db but am scared it'll muck up properly.

I have stopped running the server using the GUI services window. I then try to start the server up with as follows...

$mysql --skip-grant-tables

...which works okay and starts up the server. I then try and use mysqladmin to set the password to something else as follows...

$mysqladmin -u beerfest password 'newpass'

...and I get the follwing error:

"unable to change password; error; 'You must have privileges to update tables in the mysql database to be able to change the password for others"

Does anyone have any idea how I can change the password of beerfest???

Cheers.
  3. kill 9, $$;
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

When you log in as root and enter the"GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES . . . " statement, you should follow it with: FLUSH PRIVILEGES;
  5. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

thanks alot! Just the ticket

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo